SQL Database Administrator II
What you’ll do
In a few words…
The SQL Database Administrator II is responsible for maintaining the company’s database systems (currently MS SQL) including backup, performance tuning, capacity planning, monitoring critical events, and documentation.
The fundamentals for the job…
- Create and manage multiple databases and assist in capacity planning;
- Monitor, maintain database systems and troubleshoot problems that may arise;
- Maintain data integrity and security (manage roles and permissions of database users)
- Use tools like SQL Profiler for database tuning. Generate traces, execution plans, identify performance issues, deadlocks/contention and resolve them
- Develop strategies and implement solutions for managing back-ups, restoration and replication;
- Create and manage constraints and indexes
- Proactive housekeeping/archiving and shrinking of databases
- Manage production and development database environments
- Create detailed documentation including diagrams of database infrastructure
- Learn relevant business processes and understand the data flow, criticality and dependencies
- Effectively coordinate and communicate with all stakeholders (internal teams and clients)
- Setup and maintain database infrastructure for the company’s BI needs
What you’re made of
The bold requirements…
- Bachelors or Master’s degree in computer science or equivalent education and experience
- 5 + years’ experience in administering MS SQL server databases; preferably on later versions of versions of MS SQL such as SQL Server 2014 and later
- Experienced in SQL Server Integration Services (SSIS), SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS) and SQL Server Analysis Services (SSAS) is desirable (validate term)
- Experienced in ETL (Extract-Transform-Load) development/data integration
- Sound knowledge of RDBMS concepts, database architecture and SQL/T-SQL
- Proficient with SQL server profiler for monitoring and troubleshooting database activity and performance
- Experience in SQL Server Clustering and HA technologies including availability groups, mirroring, log shipping, failover cluster and various replication technologies
- Experience working an Microsoft Azure environment
- Knowledge of other databases like MySQL, No SQL databases and in-memory databases and MCTIP certification would be desirable
- Ability to develop procedure documents and maintain detailed database related documents
- Innovative approach to work, constantly looking for ways to upgrade the system and to make it more efficient and effective using new technologies (Always looking for a better way)
- Ability to work well in a fast – paced environment, where the technology is constantly changing.
- You can communicate effectively (read, write, speak, daydream, argue, flatter, add, subtract, etc.) in English and Spanish
That something extra we´d love to see…
- Analytical: You value the power of context & enjoy examining the past. You get the present by analyzing (sometimes over-analyzing) events leading up to it. This methodology is super helpful, but can provoke analysis-fatigue in those within earshot. Good thing you’re aware of this.
- Team player: You are detail-oriented to the nth degree, but you also manage to see the big picture. An easy to relate to individual who gets a deep satisfaction from working hard with others to achieve a goal.
- Logical: You are relentless in the search for reasons, causes and effects. Unencumbered by excessive sentimentality, you are able to think about all the factors that might affect a situation.
- Focused: You take direction, follow through, and make the necessary corrections to stay on track. You prioritize and then act. You are like a super soldier (or just the average termite) in your focus super powers. Most of us spread our focus on too many things and that’s to our detriment, but your focus is a heat seeking missile.
- Fixer / Solution seeker: You are like an action figure brought to life; you find it hard to give up even after it’s obvious you are barking up the wrong tree. You like to provide comprehensive solutions, considering both, internal and external needs; you follow the mantra of always being part of the solution (not the precipitate, because those who precipitate, you’ve learned, repent at leisure).
The above description is not intended to limit the scope of the job or to exclude other duties not mentioned. It is absolutely not a final set of specifications for the position. It’s simply meant to give readers an idea of what the role entails.
Abarca Health LLC is an equal employment opportunity employer and participates in E-Verify. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of gender, race/ethnicity, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, or other protected group status.