Lead/Senior Backend Engineer – Python, Linux (remote Europe)
Headquartered in Helsinki with offices in Berlin, Sydney and Toronto, Aiven provides managed open-source data technologies, such as PostgreSQL, Kafka and M3, on all major clouds. We have raised $150M in VC funding to date and are backed by world-class investors including Atomico, IVP and Earlybird Venture Capital, among others. We plan to invest this funding back into open source.
Our roots are in open source. The services we provide are based on best-in-class open source data technologies. We are establishing the Open-Source Office that will coordinate and increase our contributions to the open source community.
Through Aiven, developers can do what they do best: create applications. Meanwhile, we do what we do best; manage cloud data infrastructure. We enable our customers to drive business results from open source resulting in true transformations far beyond their own backyards.
About the role
We are now looking for fully remote experienced backend developers to work on our cloud operations platform turning the best open source technologies into frustration-free cloud services. You’ll be part of a team working on the Aiven cloud platform, improving its scalability and reliability, implementing new features as well as extending our product portfolio of open source data technologies. This position is open to remote candidates in Germany, Finland, Sweden, Spain, Italy, France, Switzerland and UK.
Our philosophy is to automate everything and to avoid repetitive manual work in everything we do. Our own backend systems are mostly implemented in Python with bits of Java, Go and C. We offer and operate a number of complex open source databases such as PostgreSQL, MySQL and Apache Cassandra as well as other open source data technologies like Apache Kafka.
We are looking for self-driven developers who are enthusiastic about programming and willing to help others. We value analytical problem-solving skills and an openness to new ideas.
Key requirements for success in this role include:
- M.Sc. in Computer Science preferred or relevant experience acquired on the job
- Excellent development skills in Python
- Hands-on experience with some of the following systems: Apache Kafka, Apache Cassandra, PostgreSQL, MySQL and Elasticsearch
- Experience on using Linux in development
- Fluency in English, verbal and written
What we value:
- Experience and interest on infrastructure as code
- Good understanding of security (software, networking)
- Distributed systems knowledge
A fast growing cloud open source tech company offering:
- large variety of opportunities to develop and progress your career in multiple directions
- diverse and international working environment
- extra remuneration for open-source contributions
- participation in employee stock option plan
- flexible working hours and remote working flexibility
- relocation package
- mobile phone of your choice and subscription
Multiple additional perks and benefits including:
- Aiven Library – books of your choice to widen your knowledge
- German and Finnish language courses
- Urban Sports Club membership
- modern and spacy office in the centre of Berlin (Prenzlauer Berg)
- office snacks, soft drinks, treats and fruits
- company sponsored events
You will be part of a highly-skilled, tight-knit team, learn from our experience and make your contribution essential to what is becoming a great success story. If you’re interested, send us your application.
Aiven provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to age, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, religion, sexual orientation, physical and mental ability, marital and family status or without regard to any other similar personal attributes.
Aiven complies with applicable local laws governing non-discrimination in employment in every location in which the company operates. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, training and any other terms and conditions related to employment.