Content Marketing Editor, WordPress.com
At Automattic, we believe in making the web a better place, and making our workplace a happy place. We hope you can join us on this journey!
We are the people behind WordPress.com, Tumblr, Jetpack, WooCommerce, and more. We are looking for an experienced, motivated writer and editor to join our team on WordPress.com. This role will focus on writing, commissioning, and editing WordPress content – from how-to tutorials to compelling email sequences, lead magnets to landing pages.
As an experienced content marketing writer and editor with a deep understanding of the WordPress ecosystem, you will plan and write original content while managing and editing contract and internal content. Your work will have an impact on:
- Helping WordPress.com customers and WordPress users at large to solve their problems and achieve their goals with in-depth tutorial content
- Optimizing visibility and discovery of WordPress content in search and on-site
- Contributing to a growing, omnichannel educational content marketing flywheel
- Helping to shape and contribute to our evolving unified content strategy
- Leading customers and would-be customers through a journey of growth and success
Primary Responsibilities include:
- Writing unmissable WordPress content for technical and non-technical audiences. From deep-dive tutorials to landing pages, technical reviews to video scripts, educational email sequences to customer storytelling
- Supporting the Managing Editor in commissioning and editing content from contract writers and subject matter authorities both within and outside the company
- Contributing to the running of editorial calendars and collaborating with adjacent content and creative teams to optimize the success and visibility of your content
- Forging connections with the wider WordPress.com and WordPress communities
- Working with other customer-content teams to multiply coordinated, omnichannel impact
- Building out, tracking, and reporting on content success metrics that ladder up to company, team, and division goals
- Collaborating on adjacent consumer/creator content projects
- Providing editorial support and insight to copy across the division
- Optimizing content for search (SEO) and on-site discovery
All levels of seniority are encouraged to apply.
Experience in the following areas will be vital for success in this role:
Writing and Editing Expertise in the WordPress ecosystem – You’ve contributed or edited tutorial, email, and customer empowerment content for one or more WordPress theme, plugin, or hosting businesses and are well versed in translating complex technical ideas into compelling editorial, persuasive copy, and tutorial content.
WordPress Knowledge – You know your way around wp-admin, can speak to what’s happening in the WordPress and website builder space and community, and have a strong sense of how you could bring highly relevant, compelling content marketing to the table.
Content Strategy – You’re experienced in artfully dovetailing customer and business needs with effective, far-reaching content, and have tackled planning and shipping performant, audience-aligned content at a regular cadence.
Copywriting Skills – You’re as comfortable writing and editing landing page copy and CTAs as you are tutorials, ebooks, and profiles
Developmental and Technical Editing – You bring a keen editorial eye and technical editing experience to making content the best it can be.
Analytical Capabilities: You apply an analytical approach to iterating on and developing content and content formats, drawing on the most relevant data and insights to ensure that content drives business growth while exceeding customer expectations.
Communication and Persuasion Skills – You bring a well-developed ability to express complicated ideas in an easy-to-understand way, with excellent written, oral, and illustrative communication skills. You’re not one to shy away from outspoken stakeholders, readers, and commenters, and relish the opportunity to advocate for WordPress and WordPress.com as well as for your vision of an effective online publication.
Contractor and Project Management – You bring experience mentoring, briefing, and guiding the work of contract writers and/or internal subject matter authorities to deliver high-quality work on time and within budget.
A Proactive and Collaborative Approach – You understand that the impact of your work is amplified with effective communication and collaboration with other teams, and take a proactive approach to joining the dots to make it happen. Left to your own devices, you communicate progress and direction proactively, pushing projects forward independently.
Nice to have: Content operations experience, especially in terms of automation and process improvement, are welcome additions.
How to apply:
Does this sound exciting? If so, we’d love you to apply below and fill out our application form. In your cover letter, let us know what you can contribute to the team. Proofread! Make sure you spell and capitalize WordPress and Automattic accurately. We are lucky to receive many applications for this position, so try to make your application stand out.
Please include an answer to the following question in your cover letter:
- What challenges do you think you’d face growing an audience for how-to and other customer empowerment content for WordPress.com, and what experience has set you up to confidently tackle them?
Applicants who do not submit their cover letter with their answer will not be considered.
We are the people behind WordPress.com, WooCommerce, Jetpack, Tumblr, Simplenote, Longreads, Day One, and more. We believe in making the web a better place.
We’re a distributed company with more than 1600 Automatticians in 80+ countries speaking 90+ different languages. We democratize publishing and commerce so anyone with a story can tell it, and anyone with a product can sell it, regardless of income, gender, politics, language, or country.
We believe in Open Source and the vast majority of our work is available under the GPL.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion at Automattic
We’re improving diversity, equity, and inclusion in the tech industry. At Automattic, we want people to love their work and show respect and empathy to all. We welcome differences and strive to increase participation from traditionally underrepresented groups. Our DEI committee involves Automatticians across the company and drives grassroots change. For example, this group has helped facilitate private online spaces for affiliated Automatticians to gather and helps run a monthly DEI People Lab series for further learning. Diversity, Equity and Inclusion is a priority at Automattic, though our dedication influences far more than just Automatticians: We make our products freely available and translate our products into and offer customer support in numerous languages. We require unconscious bias training for our hiring teams and ensure our products are accessible across different bandwidths and devices. Learn more about our dedication to diversity, equity, and inclusion and our Employee Resource Groups.