Quality Assurance Specialist (Remote)
Ballotpedia is a collaborative team of fast learners and creative problem solvers who are eager to work hard to make the world a better place. We believe the world will be a better place if every citizen has access to information to make informed decisions about their vote in every election in which they are eligible to vote: primary, general, and special elections; federal, state, and local offices.
We work diligently to present the available information about elections, candidates, judges, ballot measures, policies, and more in a way that enables our readers to vote with confidence and to act as engaged citizens outside of the polling booth.
Ballotpedia readers, like Ballotpedia staff, are special people.
When we launched in 2007, we did not go out of our way to seek new readers. Starting with our small team of visionary idealists, nerds, and aspiring political journalists, we just wrote the best unbiased online articles we could, especially about ballot measures. Readers found those articles in droves. It turns out there was an unclaimed audience out there—people who wanted straightforward facts about political issues, and were willing to read at length instead of just scanning the headlines.
“If you build it, they will come:” our readers came to our neutral oasis in growing numbers; we’ve had many millions of lifetime pageviews, we reached nearly half of all voters in 2020, and, in the month surrounding the November 2020 election, we were the 77th most-visited website in the U.S.
We’ve come to realize that we need to meet our readers where they are. In doing so, over the past five years, we’ve grown our email newsletter program from infancy to more than 1,000,000 opt-in subscribers with more than a dozen newsletters to choose from. We scarcely had an email list before 2016. We are working in numerous ways to help put our neutral information in front of people at the times when they most need it, including on mobile phones while you’re standing in the voting booth. We firmly believe that our readers, and the mindset we help them cultivate, are essential to the preservation of our great civilization in a world where too many others are fighting to get us all addicted to sensational posts and the irrational decisions they foster.
If this is a mission you’d be willing to work hard to achieve, and if this is a team you’d be willing to work hard with—JOIN US.
Ballotpedia is seeking a full-time Quality Assurance Specialist to join our organization.
Ballotpedia produces a high volume of content—encyclopedic articles, data related to our political coverage, newsletters, social media posts, and more. We maintain high standards for quality, accuracy, and neutrality across all of our content. Our Quality Assurance Specialist is responsible for overseeing the systems and structures that ensure our products meet these high quality standards.
Ballotpedia has a robust and developed QA program. This position’s primary job is to oversee and execute those existing QA systems. They must have a keen eye for identifying deficiencies and improvements—maintaining a creative and innovative mindset with regard to Ballotpedia’s existing processes. This position will require excellent attention to detail and a strong understanding of QA principles and statistics.
The Quality Assurance Specialist will work closely with Ballotpedia’s Editor in Chief, Senior Editor Team, and other managers throughout the organization. They must have excellent written and verbal communication skills as well as an ability to collaborate well with others. Strong organization, prioritization, and time management skills are key.
A strong candidate for this role must be comfortable working with spreadsheets and data. They will be responsible for analyzing Ballotpedia’s existing QA processes and data and will work to improve those systems. They will not rely on the status quo but will instead look to drive improvements.
As a Quality Assurance Specialist, you will:
- Coordinate and analyze audits of Ballotpedia’s datasets, providing reliable tracking for our content’s accuracy
- Review control charts and help identify causes of variance for abnormal audit results
- Oversee and process content error reports. Error reports include factual and bias errors submitted from both readers and internal staff
- Run Ballotpedia’s error management system for the Editorial department
- Help devise methods for error prevention in Ballotpedia’s processes, data, and narrative content
- Regularly review Ballotpedia’s existing quality metrics with an eye for efficiency, accuracy, and statistical significance
- Assist teams across Ballotpedia with coordinating improvement projects—forming proper predictions, developing accurate testing methods, and evaluating the benefits of the proposed changes
- Work with teams across Ballotpedia to help prioritize projects based on an understanding of the return on investment for each project
- Attend weekly meeting with and participate as an active member of Ballotpedia’s Senior Editorial Team
- Create detailed, comprehensive, and well-structured test plans and test cases
- Estimate, prioritize, plan, and coordinate quality testing activities
- Work with internal teams to investigate product quality
- Use quality assurance tools and visuals—such as fishbone diagrams, flowcharts, pareto charts, and driver diagrams—to help increase understanding of our error data in order to better inform decision making
- Provide regular reports and updates on quality to Ballotpedia’s leadership teams
- Communicate effectively with coworkers through email, Slack, Asana, video and voice calls
- Maintain flexibility among dynamic circumstances and priorities
Skills and Qualifications
What are the five most important characteristics of the quality assurance specialist?
- They enjoy organizing their own lives and the world around them. They maintain orderly habits and perceive external disorder as an opportunity to innovate and improve.
- They are detail-oriented with an eye for spotting errors. They have personal standards of quality, attention to detail, and accuracy that are unshakable. They are driven by the desire to eradicate errors and provide readers with an excellent level of writing.
- They are excellent communicators, capable of delivering feedback and edits to co-workers with a high-degree of smarts.
- They can look at our content from different points of view. They understand how customers with different political beliefs, needs, or priorities would perceive our content.
- They are driven to find the root cause of a problem. They look for structural solutions and view the error discovery process as an opportunity for improvement.
A Quality Assurance Specialist must possess:
- An appreciation for Ballotpedia’s mission
- A strong grasp of quality assurance principles, with related work experience preferred
- A firm understanding of statistics and statistical tools/software, including but not limited to Google Sheets, Excel, Datawrapper (or other chart creation software)
- Superb organizational skills and a focus on detail
- A keen eye toward analysis and seeing the forest for the trees.
- Experience working in databases and spreadsheets
- A drive for creativity and innovation
- An ability to identify and solve problems proactively
- Strong project management skills and the ability to set priorities, communicate clearly, and follow through
- A desire to work collaboratively with Ballotpedia staff from multiple departments
- Self-awareness and a drive toward constant improvement
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
The Quality Assurance Specialist will work remotely from his or her home location. All Ballotpedia staff work remotely. To join Ballotpedia, you must have a computer with internet access. Ballotpedia uses the Google Suite (Gmail, Google Calendar, Drive, and more), Slack, and Asana to accomplish our goals. Some familiarity with the Google Suite, Slack, and Asana are helpful.
Ballotpedia has a flexible work environment, BP Flex, in which every employee enjoys unlimited vacation, flexibility in scheduling and accountable autonomy. Each employee will be oriented to the principles of Ballotpedia’s flexible environment during new employee training.
The pay range for the Quality Assurance Specialist is $40,000-$55,000, and commensurate with experience.
In addition to salary, Ballotpedia offers bonuses based on performance and a $7,000 annual benefits stipend, which may be used to pay for a full benefits package, including health, vision, and dental insurance; retirement accounts; and more. If benefits are not elected, the $7,000 stipend is taxed as regular income and added to salary.
To apply, click on ‘Apply for this job’ below and fill out the form.
Please attach the following in PDF format:
- Cover letter detailing your interest in Ballotpedia’s mission and this position
Please ensure that either your résumé or cover letter include your current address. Applications without addresses will not be accepted.