Who We Are:
At Calm, we have a simple, albeit BIG mission: to make the world a happier and healthier place. Through our website, blog, and app—filled with meditations, sleep stories, music, movement, and more—we’re redefining what mental care looks like in 2021 and beyond. With over 100 million users worldwide, 100,000 new users daily, and our growing partnerships with major companies, we’re having a positive effect on more and more people each and every day. And while the heart of Calm is digital, we are growing and expanding offline with a variety of products and services to help deliver on our mission of health and happiness, the world over.
What We Do:
Calm’s marketing team is working to lead the conversation around mental health and mindfulness. We’re curious about our consumers, their challenges, and how Calm can be a true tool for change. We are a highly cross-functional and collaborative team, developing work that sparks a cultural dialog, expands what Calm is in the minds of consumers, and makes meaningful connections to the brand across the globe.
What You’ll Do:
The Managing Editor will report into the Director of Editorial Publishing. As Managing Editor, you’ll craft our voice and vision for Calm.com’s editorial presence. A successful candidate for this role will be a seasoned editor (Editorial Director, Managing Editor, Deputy Editor, Head of Content) with a strong editorial vision who is deeply familiar with the editorial landscape, is comfortable running a high volume news team, and is excited to evolve Calm.com into the leading mental health and wellness voice online. A Calm Managing Editor is plugged into the wellness community online and has a point of view on how to become a thought leader in the space, while also having a deep knowledge of web analytics. The person in this role will have both an operational mind and a creative one, come with a network of freelancers and contributors, and will be able to deftly manage deadlines and workflow. The Managing Editor will align closely with cross-functional partners from Marketing, Content, Partnerships, Lifecycle, and Product to produce and distribute best-in-class editorial content.
- Create and manage editorial calendar around key moments, events, holidays, campaigns, and partnerships
- Help evolve Calm’s editorial voice and POV
- Hire, train, and manage freelance writers, editors, and copyeditors
- Work with Social + Editorial team to keep all team members updated on work progress and distribute editorial content across social channels
- Ensure deadlines are met by writers and contributors
- Supervise the content creation process from assigning pitches through editing and publishing
- Liaise with Content, Partnerships, Lifecycle, Consumer Insights, and Product teams to work on pieces that grow our audience
- Expand Calm’s editorial content offerings to reach new audience segments
- Policy and copyright compliance
- Audit content for tone and ensure alignment with Style Guide
- Ensure Editorial operations are functioning smoothly and suggest changes where needed
- Ensure published pieces have necessary SEO elements
- Oversee freelance and contractor invoicing and payment
Who You Are:
- 5+ years of experience in journalism/editorial, digital marketing, or a similarly relevant field
- Comprehensive understanding of how to work within a CMS (WordPress preferred)
- Demonstrated ability to identify and manage diverse networks of contractors, freelancers, and agency partners
- Exceptional cross-functional collaboration
- Fluency in web analytics (specifically Google Analytics and Google Search Console)
- Impeccable copywriting and copyediting abilities
- A keen eye for detail
- A high bar for journalistic excellence
- An authentic passion for the mental health and wellness space
- The ability to liaise with Engineers and Developers and at least some technical fluency
- An understanding of the legalities of contract work in the state of CA
We believe that mental health is health, and every person should be considered in the discussion. That’s why we’re proud to be an equal opportunity workplace, committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran status, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local law.
Calm is deeply committed to diversity, equity and inclusion, both in our hiring practices and in our experiences as a Calm employee. We strive to create a mindful and respectful environment where everyone can bring their authentic self to work, and experience a culture that is free of harassment, racism, and discrimination.
Calm is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. Please inform Calm’s Recruiting team if you need any assistance completing any forms or to otherwise participate in the application process.