Sr. Accountant, Ventures Investments
Coinbase has built the world's leading compliant cryptocurrency platform serving over 68 million accounts in more than 100 countries. With multiple successful products, and our vocal advocacy for blockchain technology, we have played a major part in mainstream awareness and adoption of cryptocurrency. We are proud to offer an entire suite of products that are helping build the cryptoeconomy and increase economic freedom around the world.
There are a few things we look for across all hires we make at Coinbase, regardless of role or team. First, we look for signals that a candidate will thrive in a culture like ours, where we default to trust, embrace feedback, disrupt ourselves, and expect sustained high performance because we play as a championship team. Second, we expect all employees to commit to our mission-focused approach to our work. Finally, we seek people with the desire and capacity to build and share expertise in the frontier technologies of crypto and blockchain, in whatever way is most relevant to their role.
Reporting to the M&A Finance Senior Director, you will play a critical role in helping the Company achieve its mission through inorganic growth. This team leads the end to end M&A and Ventures processes for all of Finance. To be successful in this role, you will have deep investments accounting experience through the entire lifecycle of a transaction, from structuring to all subsequent accounting and reporting. You will partner closely with Corporate Development, other functional leaders and finance subject matter experts across the organization. A successful candidate will be confident and self-assertive, and will provide a strong voice to represent finance through the investment process
What you’ll be doing (ie. job duties):
- Provide technical accounting and pro forma presentation advice around deal structure and terms, and provide technical accounting expertise during the deal negotiation phase
- Lead accounting processes for equity investments including investment due diligence, initial and subsequent accounting.
- Perform research to determine appropriate accounting and reporting treatment under relevant standards for all transactions.
- Lead quarterly valuation modeling for equity investments including collaborating with third-party valuation firms on preparation of various fair value reports and investment contacts (as applicable).
- Leading month-end accounting activities, including preparation/review of journal entries and account reconciliations.
- Preparing monthly management deliverables of equity investments and schedules that support the statement of cash flows and 10Q/10K footnotes.
- Representing accounting in sourcing, implementing and maintaining an investment tracking system.
- Collaborating with cross-functional teams including other Accounting functions, Corporate Development, Legal, Finance, etc.
- Proactively identifying and implementing process improvement opportunities to reduce manual effort.
- Diving deep into complex technical accounting concepts and proposing solutions.
What we look for in you (ie. job requirements):
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or Finance with a CPA or equivalent
- 7+ years experience of direct work experience, across Big 4 and industry
- Strong technical accounting skills
- Proficient with GAAP research tools and the FASB codification including ASC Topics, 321, 323, 805, 815, 718, and 820
- Excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication skills
- Outstanding detail-orientation.
- Experience working with a fast-paced, high-tech start-up or complex company
Nice to haves:
- Crypto industry experience
Commitment to Equal Opportunity
Coinbase is committed to diversity in its workforce and is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sex, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation or any other basis protected by applicable law. Coinbase will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. For US applicants, you may view Pay Transparency, Employee Rights and Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law notices by clicking on their corresponding links. Additionally, Coinbase participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations, as required by law.
Coinbase is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to accommodations@ coinbase.com and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. For quick access to screen reading technology compatible with this site click here to download a free compatible screen reader (free step by step tutorial can be found here). Please contact accommodations@ coinbase.com for additional information or to request accommodations.
Global Data Privacy Notice for Job Candidates and Applicants
Depending on your location, the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) may regulate the way we manage the data of job applicants. Our full notice outlining how data will be processed as part of the application procedure for applicable locations is available here: Ireland/EU, United Kingdom, and California. By submitting your application, you are agreeing to our use and processing of your data as required.