Virtual California Family Law Paralegal
Equivity is looking for a part-time virtual paralegal who is an expert with family law and is a California-qualified paralegal. The ideal candidate will have experience with adoptions, guardianships, child custody, and/or child support, asset, and debt division calculations. If you have at least three (3) years of experience working as a California family law paralegal, have previously assisted family law attorneys remotely, take pride in your work, pay meticulous attention to the details, and are an experienced, technologically savvy, self-starter, we want to hear from you!
We are looking for paralegals with at least three years of family law experience in the state of California, and that have worked in a law firm within the last six months. The selected candidate will be very technologically adept and have excellent Word, Excel, and Adobe skills. In addition, the candidate should have experience working with cloud-based practice management software, preferably Clio.
More about our company:
Equivity provides virtual assistance to clients across the United States, with specialties in administrative, marketing, and paralegal support services. Equivity works closely with our clients to provide them with virtual paralegals who are experienced in their field and have successfully worked in a remote or virtual environment. Our law firm clients range from solo practitioners to multi-partner firms, and run across all specialty areas of law including litigation, family law, bankruptcy, real estate, and much more.
Our virtual paralegals work with a high degree of autonomy and are responsible for developing relationships with our clients. Because we provide extremely attentive service to our clients, you must be available to respond to client communications throughout the business day within one hour by email, phone, and text, you should also be available to work on projects throughout the hours of 9am – 6pm Eastern Time. All of this work is done remotely, meaning that you can work from home.
The selected candidate would be hired as a part-time W-2 employee of Equivity, not a 1099 independent contractor. We are looking for somebody who has at least 20 hours per week of availability, and the pay rate is $25 per hour, with opportunities for advancement throughout your employment with Equivity. We are a growing business and are looking for a virtual paralegal who is excited to partner with us and is interested in a long-term role with our company.
Qualities we are looking for:
- Meticulous attention to detail
- Excellent communication skills
- Technologically savvy
- Ability to work independently with limited oversight
Equivity is an Equal Opportunity Employer and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any kind. Equivity is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at Equivity are based on business needs, job requirements, and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion, creed, national original, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender orientation, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Equivity will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics.
- Bachelor’s degree
- 3+ years of recent experience (within the last six months) working in a family law practice in the state of California
- Paralegal certificate or documentary proof of paralegal qualification in California with up-to-date MCLE
- Experience working in a high-volume family law practice on contested divorce matters
- Experience taking a task from start to finish with minimal direction from supervising attorneys (self-starter, independent worker, problem solver)
- Experience performing client intake
- Experience with adoptions and/or guardianships
- Experience with child custody
- Experience with child support and/or asset/debt division calculations
- Proficiency in using a cloud-based practice management system/project management software, such as Clio or MyCase
- Expert proficiency with Microsoft Office, including Word, Outlook, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Proficient with Google suite of programs
- Proficient with creating PDFs in Adobe, including features such as bookmarks and indexes
- Experience with engagement letters, client invoicing, correspondence, document review and preparation
- Experience drafting form motions
- Availability to make and respond to calls in a professional setting between 9 AM and 6 PM Pacific Time
- Your own laptop and smart phone with broadband access to Internet
- Quiet location in which to take phone calls
- Experience using law firm bookkeeping software for invoicing and timekeeping would be a plus