Virtual Real Estate Paralegal – Commercial Real Estate Closings
Equivity is looking for a part-time virtual paralegal with recent experience supporting attorneys in commercial real estate closings. We are looking for paralegals with at least three years of experience conducting real estate closings, deep experience with commercial real estate, and additional experience in residential real estate paralegal work. If you have experience supporting attorneys remotely and have experience assisting attorneys with both commercial and residential real estate transactions, we want to hear from you!
Virtual paralegals at Equivity develop a portfolio of clients and support a number of different attorneys. We are currently seeking a virtual paralegal to support real estate attorneys. Your role would include:
- managing closing files from beginning to end, including ordering title commitments and abstracts
- reviewing title commitments, noting exceptions, and working to clear title exceptions and meet title requirements
- ordering payoffs, estoppels, surveys
- assisting in clearing liens and title impairments;
- preparing closing documents under supervision, including purchase and sale agreements and amendments and extensions to such, Warranty and Quit Claim deeds, affidavits, POAs, and settlement statements (Post-TILA/RESPA).
Experience with tax forms and UCC forms is a plus. You must also be knowledgeable with ALTA exceptions, TILA/RESPA requirements and procedures, obtaining records from local authorities (property appraiser, tax assessor, clerk of court, etc.), and working with banks and lenders to close transactions.
You may also serve as a liaison between various parties in the transaction, including the buyer, seller, real estate agents, inspectors, surveyors, underwriter, and title companies and be responsible for ensuring that deadlines in the contract are met.
Because many of our clients rely on real estate or title specific software, you should have experience using programs like Attorney’s Title, eClosing, Closer’s Choice, or SoftPro. The ideal candidate will be adept at using practice management software, such as Clio or MyCase; Microsoft Office, including Word and Excel; editing PDFs; and using software for completing transactions, such as DocuSign.
More about our company:
Equivity provides virtual assistance to clients across the United States, with specialties in administrative, marketing, and paralegal support services. Equivity works closely with our clients to provide them with virtual paralegals who are experienced in their field and have successfully worked in a remote or virtual environment. Our law firm clients range from solo practitioners to multi-partner firms and run across all specialty areas of law including litigation, family law, bankruptcy, real estate, and much more.
Our virtual paralegals work with a high degree of autonomy and are responsible for developing relationships with our clients. Because we provide extremely attentive service to our clients, you must be available to respond to client communications during business hours within one hour by email, phone, and text and be available to work on projects during the business day. All of this work is done remotely, meaning that you can work from home.
The selected candidate would be hired as a part-time employee of Equivity, not an independent contractor. We are looking for somebody who has at least 20 hours per week of availability, and the starting pay is $20 per hour. We are a growing business and are looking for a virtual paralegal who is excited to partner with us and is interested in a long-term role with our company.
Qualities we are looking for:
- Attention to detail
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to work independently with limited oversight
- Technologically savvy
Equivity is an Equal Opportunity Employer and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any kind. Equivity is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at Equivity are based on business needs, job requirements, and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion, creed, national original, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender orientation, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Equivity will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics.
- Bachelor’s degree
- 3+ years of recent experience working as a paralegal in commercial real estate or 3+ years working as a real estate processor or closer with 1+ year of that experience in a law firm setting.
- Experience handling real estate closings for residential and commercial transactions and residential and commercial mortgages from start to finish
- Experience utilizing real estate closing software (Attorneys Title, eClosing, Closer’s Choice, or SoftPro)
- Experience ordering title commitments, abstracts, chain of title, etc.
- Experience analyzing title exceptions and working to clear same
- Experience obtaining records from local authorities (property appraiser, tax assessor, clerk of courts, etc.)
- Experience being self-directed at preparing closing documents under supervision, including purchase and sale agreements and amendments and extensions to such, Warranty and Quit Claim deeds, affidavits, and POAs. Experience with tax forms and UCC forms a plus.
- Experience drafting and reviewing post-TILA/RESPA settlement statements, including working with lenders to ensure it complies with the good faith estimate.
- Knowledgeable with TILA/RESPA requirements and ALTA exceptions
- Experience working with banks and lenders to meet mortgage requirements throughout the closing
- Experience preparing IRS Tax Form 1098
- Excellent math skills and strong attention to detail
- Experience handling a large volume of closings
- Availability to respond to requests within an hour during the hours of 9 AM – 6 PM, Monday – Friday Eastern, Central, Mountain or Pacific time zone
- Your own laptop and smart phone with broadband access to Internet
- Quiet location in which to make and take phone calls
Experience in the following areas would be helpful:
- Accounting or financial background
- Preparing and editing business contracts
- Forming and dissolving business entities and performing entity maintenance
- Preparing corporate, partnership, or shareholder agreements
- Mergers and acquisitions
- Securities Estate Planning