Data Developer (T-SQL, MSBI)
We are on a mission to make science open so everyone can live healthy lives on a healthy planet.
Who we are?
Frontiers is an award-winning open science platform and leading open access scholarly publisher.
We are one of the largest and most cited publishers globally. To date, our 200,000 freely available research articles have received more than one billion views and downloads and two million citations. Our journals span science, health, humanities and social sciences, engineering, and sustainability. And we continue to expand into new academic disciplines so more researchers can publish open access.
Be part of the publishing revolution and help us transform the way research is published, evaluated, and communicated to the world.
Who are we looking for?
We are looking for a Data Developer with experience in business intelligence and analytics development to join our Data Architecture and Engineering team.
You will work on design and development of analytics and reporting services.
To be successful in this role, you need to have strong SQL skills, good knowledge of data systems, experience of developing data queries, comfort dealing with complex technical problems, and the desire and ability to learn and get things done in a fast-paced environment.
Essential Job Functions
- Create reliable and optimised data queries to collect, transform, analyse, and visualise data.
- Create comprehensive data procedures for enterprise-level data analytics.
- Design and develop scalable data processes to consume and analyse complex data from different data sources.
- Take part in designing, building, and supporting enterprise analytics solutions.
- Collaborate with all technology and business functions to understand requirements and produce clear specification and documentation.
- Resolve data issues, troubleshoot system problems, and as needed, help clients and colleagues with accessing, understanding, and analysing data.
- Adhere to and take part in enhancement of data management standards, guidelines, and policies.
- Work in a collaborative environment—meetings, planning and review sessions, and iterative development.
Desired Skills and Experience
Knowledge and Technical Skills
- Solid understanding of relational, non-relational, and multi-dimensional data models and systems.
- Strong experience in querying, transforming, integrating, and analysing complex data sources using T-SQL, emphasising accuracy, efficiency, and performance.
- Experience in design and development of data analytics and reporting solutions, using Microsoft SQL Server Tools and Services.
- Experience with data development tools and environments, Visual Studio and SQL Server Data Tools.
- Experience with data manipulation and analysis, using Excel and Power Query.
- Experience with analytics and reporting tools, such as Tableau, Power BI, and SSRS.
- Experience with source control and repository systems, TFVC and/or Git.
- Familiarity with .NET Framework and programming in C# and/or Visual Basic .NET—having experience is a plus.
- A minimum of two years of experience in a similar role.
General Skills and Abilities
- Ability to solve problems using a balance of technical competence, creativity, and pragmatism.
- Highly detail-oriented, prioritising quality and accuracy.
- Ability to work independently and within a team, and effectively collaborate with development, operations, and business teams.
- Highly motivated, self-directed, and able to handle multiple tasks or projects simultaneously.
- Experience working with Agile methodologies in small development teams as well as ability to multitask while working independently or on a team with shifting priorities and deadlines.
- Well-developed time-management skills.
- Out-of-the-box thinking and excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Good command of the English language.
- 25 days’ vacation per year and 4 well-being days (pro rata and expiring each year on 31st of December).
- Participation into the company’s annual bonus scheme.
- Access to the latest equipment and international working environment.
- Professional development opportunities.
- Remote working options available within the UK.
How to apply
Please submit your application in English.
The candidate must be a UK citizen or have a valid UK work permit. Our office is located in London, however remote working options are available within the UK. If you are interested, do not hesitate to apply online!
Frontiers actively embraces diversity and is a safe and welcoming workplace. Recruitment is free from discrimination including based on race, national or ethnic origin, age, religion, disability, sex, gender identity or sexual orientation. With over 600 employees from more than 50 different nations, our diversity creates vibrant teams and constantly challenges us to appreciate multiple perspectives.