Tech Editor, Marine
Future plc is an international publishing and media group, and a leading digital business. Founded in 1985 with one magazine, today we have offices in London, Bath, Bournemouth, Bromsgrove, New York, San Francisco and Sydney. At Future we believe in teamwork that transcends location.
Future is a global platform for specialist media with scalable, diversified brands. We strive to create fans of our brands by giving them a place where they want to spend their time, where they go to meet their needs; continuing to create loyal communities. We are expanding our global reach through organic growth, acquisitions and strategic partnerships while diversifying our monetisation models to create significant revenue streams.
Our focus is in the core areas of consumer technology, games & entertainment, music, knowledge & science, field sports, home interests and photography & design. At Future, we’re constantly innovating and we are passionate about what we do!
Behind our titles is a team of world-class editorial, creative and tech talent working together to connect, inspire and entertain our global audience. Sitting alongside are a team of business specialists, commercial and enabling functions who support every aspect of Future’s operations.
With superbrands such as PC Gamer, TechRadar, GamesRadar+, MusicRadar & TeamRock, Future’s digital properties complement its print portfolio, reaching millions of unique visitors globally each month. We have successful and growing revenue streams in international licensing, contract publishing, eCommerce and a rich portfolio of events.
Future’s editorial department is a highly innovative and fast-moving part of our business that is staffed by a combination of digital development specialists, highly skilled online journalists and business experts. Together they are developing new approaches to content creation and presentation that help audiences to discover the right products for their needs and buy them at the best prices – all this is underpinned by best-in-class, independent journalism, written by passionate experts.
Job Summary & Purpose
We’re looking for a skilled and driven digital journalist with an interest in boating and a talent for offering first class buying advice to take on this exciting role working across the Future Marine group on yachtingworld.com and mby.com.
Reporting to the Content Director, as Tech Editor you will be responsible for generating content that reviews, rates and recommends sailing and boating products. From outboards and underwater cameras to boat shoes, lifejackets and paddleboards you will become one of the world’s foremost experts on what anyone out on the water must have.
These buyer’s guides and reviews are designed to provide essential information to people in the market to buy sailing and boating products, so you should be a first-rate writer with up-to-date digital skills with a strong working knowledge of review formats and objective testing environments.
You’ll need to have your finger on the pulse to ensure the websites are always up to date and, in many cases, ahead of the curve. Consequently, you’ll need to develop strong PR contacts and fantastic organisational skills; a talent for writing sharp, quality content; strong SEO knowledge or the ability to learn quickly, as well as the ability to adapt while working in a fast-paced and ambitious environment.
Key role responsibilities
- Developing test formats for product categories including kit, accessories, clothing and footwear
- Writing buying guides for yachtingworld.com and MBY.com as per a content plan agreed with the Content Director.
- Ensuring the buying guides talk about products that are of interest to the audience at various price points
- Ensuring the audience for these guides is maximised in line with best practice SEO
- Working with the rest of the marine editorial team to source content and knowledge
- Commissioning content from freelance contributors
- Ensuring that reviews deliver not just excellent and informative content for users but also encourage them to click through and purchase where appropriate
- Monitoring performance of these articles and assess next steps as required
- Update existing buying guides on the site and ensure they remain relevant and rank highly
- Employing your understanding of different audience types to ensure the effectiveness of the content at different price points.
- Attending product launches and events to gather information on key products, writing first looks/reviews where appropriate
- Providing general social media, subbing and news help where needed
- Proven ability to write high quality engaging review-based content
- Interest in and a passion for sailing and/or motor boating and watersports
- An existing understanding of SEO best practices and the ability to quickly develop these skills
- Ability to use Google Analytics to report on and inform content strategies
- Knowledge and experience of content management systems
- A great eye for the aesthetic, with the ability to bring content to life through stunning imagery and intuitive article layouts
- Ability to work as part of, and be a leader within, a wider team
- Able to interpret and use audience behavioural data
- Excellent communication skills between both PR and internal contacts
- Representing Future brands externally at events and launches when relevant
What will I get in return?
As well as our standard benefits, we have a number of awesome perks available to our staff including:
- Unlimited paid time off (yes you read that right!)
- A share in our success- every member of staff receives a profit pool bonus at the end of our financial year
- Free digital magazine subscriptions and access to back copies of our print magazines and bookazines
- Regular staff socials arranged by our wonderful Employee Community & Culture committees (when we get back to the office)
- Huge opportunities to learn and develop whether through professional qualifications, exposure to incredible business projects or informal lunch & learns, hosted by your colleagues
We are Future
Connectors. Creators. Experience Makers
Future is a global multi-platform media company and leading digital publisher, with scalable brands and diversified revenue streams. We are dedicated to connecting over 300 million people worldwide with their passions, through expert content, world-class events and cutting-edge proprietary technology. We have big ambitions to transform media and change people’s lives.
We have a market-leading portfolio of over 220 brands spanning across technology, gaming, TV & entertainment, women’s lifestyle, music, sport, creative and photography, home interest and B2B. You may have heard of us…
But a stellar heritage isn’t enough. We continue to grow our portfolio and launch new brands, restlessly looking to improve, innovate and push the boundaries of what can be done. We develop leading-edge technology which is disrupting the media marketplace.
Together, we’re exceeding the expectations of everyone we exist for – our audiences, clients, staff and shareholders. In a short space of time, Future has transformed into an innovative global media platform.
We reap the rewards too, of course, with a fun and creative place to work with endless opportunities to forge a career. We believe in teamwork that transcends location, so we don’t have a Future HQ but a globally connected workforce across the UK, US, Europe and Australia
Every kind of talent is celebrated here.. We hire for person not for the role, looking for people who share our ambitions to be bold and innovate, making Future a global success story.
Let’s do this!
To apply for this role, please submit your CV and a covering letter explaining why this is your dream job!
Inclusion & Diversity
At Future we are passionate about ensuring that as a business, we are continuing to promote diversity and inclusion not just in our recruitment processes, but everything we do.
Future is an equal opportunity employer and we will continue to ensure our recruitment process will be free of bias and our workplaces are inclusive, positive, free of discrimination and respects all backgrounds and beliefs. Our culture is underpinned by our values which will continue to ensure that all applicants, current and future employees are treated with respect and fairness.
We are continuing to be inclusive in our approach to flexible working, ensuring that we are making adjustments where required and providing our employees the tools and support to enable them to grow and flourish in their careers.