Technical Accounting Manager
Gusto is a modern, online people platform that helps small businesses take care of their teams. On top of full-service payroll, Gusto offers health insurance, 401(k)s, expert HR, and team management tools. Today, Gusto offices in Denver, San Francisco, and New York serve more than 200,000 businesses nationwide.
Our mission is to create a world where work empowers a better life, and it starts right here at Gusto. That’s why we’re committed to building a collaborative and inclusive workplace, both physically and virtually. Learn more about our Total Rewards philosophy.
We’re looking for someone who will help us build a best-in-class Technical Accounting function. This person will partner very closely with the Head of Technical Accounting and Financial Reporting, Financial Reporting Manager, as well as various team including accounting / controllership, BizTech, Finance, Legal, to lead the charge on accounting / reporting for our significant transactions, assist in determining and documenting the Company’s accounting policies and positions on relevant transactions, coordinate with external and internal folks on technical accounting issues, partner with the organization to help determine optimal deal structures, provide company trainings on technical issues / new and complex transactions, and assist with ASU adoptions (842, 326). You will help us build a strong technical and reporting infrastructure to support growth and scale. You thrive in a start-up environment. Your friends and co-workers describe you as someone who is willing to roll up your sleeves to get the job done, who goes the extra mile, and is detail oriented.
Here’s what you’ll do day-to-day:
- Apply critical thinking and problem-solving skills to break down technical issues, research and identify applicable accounting guidance, propose solutions and introduce process improvements
- Interact with cross-functional teams as a subject matter expert to identify financial risks associated with new or contemplated transactions and resolve complex accounting issues
- Draft, update, organize and maintain Accounting Policies, as needed throughout the year
- Own internal and external reporting processes including the preparation of supporting schedules and disclosures in accordance with U.S. GAAP (and IFRS when applicable)
- Partner with Financial reporting manager and Interface with external auditors to facilitate the timely completion of various audits with an emphasis on complex transactions and the financial reporting process
- Monitor, assess and implement new accounting pronouncements applicable to the company
- Partner with the Financial reporting manager to Implement process improvements to streamline the financial reporting process and improve information quality
- Take the lead on internal / external meetings regarding significant transactions and accounting policy
- Review of non-recurring journal entries to determine appropriate classification and provide support to the accounting close process, including preparation of US GAAP financial statements
- Work collaboratively with the operational accounting team and business functions
- Provide periodic technical accounting training to the members of the Accounting organization
Here’s what we're looking for:
- 5+ years relevant work experience with undergraduate degree or equivalent
- Prior experience in technical accounting & reporting role, preferably in a private company setting
- Big 4 audit or advisory experience, with a CPA is preferred
- Ability to clearly and concisely document and effectively communicate complex accounting and reporting issues to finance and non-finance personnel
- Demonstrated ability to address a wide variety of technical accounting issues
- Experience with SEC reporting requirements and public company readiness initiatives
- Prior experience with risk assessment and control documentation
- Strong work ethic and ability to be productive and successful in a fast-paced environment
- Exceptional attention to detail with ability to identify issues and propose solutions to complex or non-standard situations
Our cash compensation amount for this role is targeted at $119,000 to $147,000 in New York. Final offer amounts are determined by multiple factors including candidate experience and expertise and may vary from the amounts listed above.
Our customers come from all walks of life and so do we. We hire great people from a wide variety of backgrounds, not just because it's the right thing to do, but because it makes our company stronger. If you share our values and our enthusiasm for small businesses, you will find a home at Gusto.
Gusto is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate in hiring or any employment decision based on race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran status, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or other applicable legally protected characteristic. Gusto considers qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. Gusto is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at ** Redacted **.