Security Sector/Security Governance SMEs (multiple positions) — Actively Recruiting
Security Sector SMEs
*Note: This is an open call for qualified candidates to join our on-call pool of experts, but as of September 2019 Motive is ACTIVELY recruiting for LIVE, near-term opportunities. Please apply and encourage others to apply soon. Applications will be processed on a rolling basis.*
Location(s): U.S. and Global (Most positions are home-based with extensive travel)
Type of Position: Part-Time/Consultancy/Intermittent
Number of Positions: Multiple
Timeline to Apply: Actively hiring as of SEP 2019. Applicants considered on a rolling basis.
Motive International, LLC is a social enterprise and Woman-Owned Small Business based in Washington, DC with a mission to mitigate conflict & enhance stability & sustainability in fragile global societies. We deliver training & education, program design & implementation, and consulting services for government/military and private sector clients.
Motive believes that contributing to effective, transparent and just global security sectors is a key way to advance our company mission to mitigate conflict and enhance global stability. We therefore deliver high caliber, carefully designed and professionally delivered defense institution building (DIB), security sector reform (SSR) and security governance initaitives to achieve this mission. As a company specializing in conflict analysis, mitigation and prevention that takes a cross-sector approach to matters of conflict and stability, Motive is committed not only to mobilizing individual SMEs or “filling billets” in support of client initiative, but applying company-wide lessons learned, reach-back SME support, and a commitment to continual learning. Motive’s roster of on-call Security Sector SMEs are the forefront of this approach.
Seeking Qualified Applicants:
In support of multiple active client projects, Motive is seeking qualified individuals to join our pool of Security Sector Subject Matter Experts (SMEs) in the area of Defense Institution Building/Security Sector Reform/Security Governance (“Security Sector SMEs”) Motive routinely mobilizes SMEs for U.S. and international engagements such as :
- Short-term (1-2 weeks in duration) high-level assessment or advisory missions abroad, typically involving close coordination with international counterparts such as ministry or joint staff-level leadership. Engagements often involve multi-disciplinary/cross functional teams consisting of government, Motive and/or academic experts.
- Short-term (1-4 weeks in duration) training or education events, serving as a primary or support instructor. Training/education events may be in the U.S. or abroad and are typically deisgned to benefit international security sector partners.
- Ongoing assessment, advisory or training engagements, including deep dive curriculum development, design or review efforts and/or short- or longer-term faculty or guest lecture positions for USG-sponsored in-residence courses for international security sector partners.
By joining our pool of Security Sector SMEs you will receive notifications of opportunities and be recruited directly for specific engagements that match your area of expertise. Security Sector SME opportunities with Motive are ideally suited for freelance consultants, semi-retired professionals, academics, military reservists and others who possess the requisite qualifications and are committed to applying their expertise towards positive global impact. We recruit and mobilize Security Sector SMEs at a variety of levels from mid to senior-level SMEs with anywhere from 5-30 years of relevant, demonstrable expertise. Past engagements have included advising Central Asian governments on CVE and border security policy formulation, assisting a South American ministry with force structure remodeling, and designing & delivering modules for a disarmenent & demobilization course for security officials from Africa, the Middle East and Asia.
The subject matter areas for which we are currently recruiting are as follows:
- Strategy, Policy, and Planning — Including expertise related to national-scale threat assessments, crafting national security strategies, capability-based assessments/approaches, thematic policy formulation on topics such as CVE, DDR, protection of civilians, CIMIC, etc.
- Logistics — Including expertise related to service-level logistics planning, sustainment policy & process, domain-level supply chain management, etc.
- Border security — Including expertise related to border management, border policy & strategy, best practices in borders security, trafficking & borders, customs & enforcement, etc.
- Counterterrorism & CVE — Including expertise related to prevention & response, roles and strategies for military, public safety (police, and other public safety organizations) and cross-sector CT stakeholders, international CT cooperation, strategic planning to defeat terrorist networks, empirical methods for assessing root causes of terrorism, CVE/PVE design, monitoring & evaluation, etc.
- Maritime Security — Including expertise related to transnational maritime threats, maritime terrorism and piracy, maritime domain awareness, maritime governance, maritime trafficking, port security, etc.
- Human Resource Management — Including expertise related to security force structure planning, personnel management, gender and ethnic integration in security forces, manpower planning at the strategic level, retention & recruiting, etc.
- Financial Resource Managament — Including expertise related to national security resourcing, procurement & acquisitions, manpower budget planning, etc.
- Demonstrated expertise in one or more of the areas listed above. Expertise may be demonstrated through past government/contractor/civil society professional experience or through academic/think tank research/publications/program work.
- 5 to 30 years of relevant professional experience.
- Experience working with international governments, security forces and/or multilateral organizations in an advisory or partnered capacity.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher (Master’s degree preferred).
- Current passport & willingness to travel.
- U.S. citizen
- Prior teaching/classroom or field instruction and/or curriculum design experience preferred but not required.
- Knowledge of additional languages besides English preferred but not required.
- Current security clearance eligibility preferred but not required.
- Past publications/speaking engagements on relevant topics of expertise preferred but not required.
To Apply (no unsolicited phone calls please):
- Complete an application including a brief statement of interest.
- Submit a CV/resume clearly indicating your thematic areas of expertise, functional skills, and specific work experience. Please limit CVs to a maximum of 3 pages with simple formatting. MS Word versions are preferred for easier key word searches to match SMEs in our pool with specific opportunities.
- Provide two references with current contact information