Director of Engineering, Child Mental Health
Redesign Health is a healthcare innovation platform. We bring together entrepreneurs, industry experts, and investors to launch companies that transform the healthcare system and empower people to live their healthiest lives. We have launched 28 companies to date including Lively, Ever/Body, Calibrate, Vault Health, Springtide, HealthQuarters, Proper, Anomaly, Jasper, MedArrive, Intrinsic, UpLift, Kins and Keen. We’re capitalized with permanent capital from world-class institutional investors and entrepreneurs.
About the Stealth Venture
We are facing a national emergency in pediatric mental health. Less than 1 in 5 young people with mental health challenges receive care from a mental health professional. Mental health impacts 17M children in the United States with a market size greater than $50B.
Our stealth child and adolescent mental health company is on a mission to broaden access to quality, affordable, and evidence based mental health services for children aged 5 to 19 and their families.
The company’s vision is to create an integrated set of support resources to understand, assess, diagnose and treat mental health challenges through digital tools and access to virtual clinicians.
The company has partnered with the leading pediatric mental health non-profit in the US, who will help build its clinical protocols, train its providers, and create proprietary content.
About the Role
As the company’s first engineer, you will shape the development of all of the components of our product which delivers mental healthcare to children and adolescents, coaching to their caregivers, and superb experiences for clinicians.
Working closely with product and design, you will help shape our roadmap and own delivery of product features, new integrations, and data collection. This role will hire and develop Fort’s engineering team and should be a strong mentor and player-coach. The right candidate will bring a mastery of agile software development practices as well as a strong outcome-driven approach to building products.You’ll be joining a deeply passionate and collaborative cross-functional team that puts the user first and loves to learn, debate, and move quickly.
What you’ll do:
- Lead the development and implementation of new products and product features, delivering reliable and compliant software.
- Own the development of our tech stack, making build-vs-buy decisions and architectural improvements as we scale.
- Develop our data stack, building tools to understand and report on patient outcomes.
- Partner with product and design to discover new product opportunities, create experiments through rapid prototypes and AB tests, and learn and iterate quickly.
- Manage a team of outsourced developers while hiring Fort’s engineering team.
- Wear many hats as an engineering leader, acting as a developer, team leader, mentor, collaborator and innovator.
What you’ll need:
- 5+ years of software development experience with cloud applications
- Experience with backend programming languages (Java, Spring Boot)
- Production experience with AWS or other public cloud infrastructure platforms
- Successful track record of delivering and maintaining reliable, scalable, traceable and performant distributed systems to customers in a production cloud environment
- Extensive experience with building and using RESTful APIs, understanding of data schema design, and understanding performance pitfalls
- Experience with Agile development and is comfortable decomposing complex problem statements
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Experience with Relational Databases (MySQL, PostgreSQL or equivalent)
- Experience with distributed in-memory datastore (Redis, Elasticache or equivalent)
- Action oriented. Readily takes action on challenges, without unnecessary planning. Identifies and seizes new opportunities. Displays a can-do attitude in good and bad times. Steps up to handle tough issues. Taking on new opportunities and tough challenges with a sense of urgency, high energy and enthusiasm
- Drives results. Has a strong bottom-line orientation. Persists in accomplishing objectives despite obstacles and setbacks. Has a track record of exceeding goals successfully. Pushes self and helps others achieve results. Consistently achieving results, even under tough circumstances.
- Manages Ambiguity. Deals comfortably with the uncertainty of change. Effectively handles risk. Can decide and act without having the total picture. Is calm, and productive, even when things are up in the air. Deals constructively with problems that do not have clear solutions or outcomes. Operating effectively, even when things are not certain of the way forward is unclear.
You will work out of one of the following locations:
In-office: New York, NY
Remote: Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, District of Columbia, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming