Academic Editor in Math and Computer Science (Remote)
Research Square Company, home to American Journal Experts (AJE) and Research Square, is dedicated to improving the way discoveries are shared by the international research community. Our growing editing services team includes scientists, former academics, and language experts who help researchers by ensuring that their ideas are communicated clearly and accurately.
We currently have full-time opportunities for highly motivated individuals to fill the role of Academic Editor (AE). We are looking for candidates who have experience with technical editing and a field of math or computer science. Your experience can come from research or industry. Our customers work in a wide variety of fields, including machine learning and artificial intelligence, computer engineering, statistics and information sciences, systems and networking, information theory, robotics, GIS, and software development.
Academic Editors work from wherever is most productive for them on a schedule that suits their lives. Our employees are distributed across the United States, so we’re all working together from different locations.
Our Academic Editors have a strong background in academic research and stellar language editing skills. AEs improve the writing in academic manuscripts to a level that is appropriate for peer review. AEs edit in fields related to their expertise, and their work connects directly to our mission of helping researchers succeed.
The AE position is challenging. It entails delivering a high volume of consistently high quality edits (several manuscripts per day, editing at the sentence level), and it requires a combination of strong editing and time management skills as well as expertise in a specific field of study. The work is results oriented and communication is often asynchronous, so written communication skills and a dash of tech savvy are a must.
Skills & Requirements
- Advanced degree required; PhD preferred
- Demonstrated ability to edit academic manuscripts in accordance with accepted publication standards
- Excellent spoken and written communication skills
- High level of self-motivation and personal accountability
- Extremely strong time management skills
- Ability to work both autonomously and collaboratively
- Flexibility and adaptability in the face of change
- Passionate about helping researchers successfully communicate their work
- Demonstrates Research Square’s core values
- Meets workflow-specific quality standards and volume targets
- Edits in line with our scope and service goals
- Meets deadlines
- Communicates with our support, customer service, and editing teams as needed to serve our customers best and in line with team expectations
- Makes our company a better place
- Has sufficient skills and knowledge in the use of computers and associated computer technology to complete role-related tasks
- Works effectively in a dynamic environment
The starting, non-negotiable, annual salary for the AE role is $50,000.
Who We Are
Research Square Company exists to make research communication faster, fairer, and more useful. We are a growing team of scientists, researchers, language experts, software developers, and publishing industry veterans working together to find new ways to help researchers succeed.
Headquartered in Durham, North Carolina, Research Square Company consists of two main divisions, American Journal Experts (AJE) and Research Square. Since 2004, AJE has provided manuscript preparation services to hundreds of thousands of researchers helping them to get their work published. Launched in 2018, our platform, Research Square, is the largest multidisciplinary preprint server in the world. By helping researchers communicate their work more effectively, we accelerate the pace of global discovery and advancement.
Our team embraces and fuels change, fights for simplicity, invests in customers’ success, and applies a data-driven approach to continuously improve and magnify our impact. We have developed tools and services that have been adopted by major international publishers to improve the publishing experience for their authors.
We are a high-growth, family-friendly, and mission-driven company that regularly wins awards for our workplace culture, pace of growth, and innovations. Our workplace is casual and flexible while also being stimulating and dynamic. We have a results-focused work environment. Employees have the option of working remotely anywhere in the US or, for those local to the Raleigh-Durham area, taking advantage of our open office in downtown Durham.
- Sloan Award for Workplace Flexibility (2011, 2012)
- When Work Works Award (2014, 2016, 2017)
- NC Parenting Magazine’s Family Friendly 50 (2013, 2014)
- Triangle Business Journal’s Best Places to Work (2017, 2019, 2020)
- NCBC Breastfeeding-Friendly Employer Award (2017)
- Family Forward NC Featured Business (2019)