Software Engineer (Full Stack)
School of Motion ( View website )
June 9, 2021
Providence Rhode Island 02903 United States
School of Motion is looking for a Software Engineer to help us build the best platform for motion design training in the world.
As a Software Engineer at School of Motion you’ll be responsible for continuing to grow and scale our learning platform as we introduce more courses and content to more students, all over the world.
- Have 3+ years of software engineering experience
- Be comfortable with both front-end and back-end coding
- Be proficient in the following technologies
- Have experience with NoSQL databases
- Be comfortable writing unit test (we use Jest)
- Be willing to learn new technologies
- Be familiar with Agile software development
- Take pride in your problem-solving abilities
- Be able to take a loose set of requirements and turn them into detailed development tasks
- Enjoy building apps that are both functional and aesthetically pleasing
You can expect to:
- Design, build and maintain our Learning Management System (LMS) and public-facing website, including our blog
- Develop responsive solutions that provide a good user experience across a range of screens and devices
- Work with our customer support team to help triage and resolve user-reported issues
- Do some light DevOps tasks such as:
- Docker containerization
- CI pipeline configuration
- Test Automation
- Collaborate with our Marketing and Sales teams to help promote our brand and content
- Work with course designers and producers to ensure high quality content delivery
- Spend a lot of time on Slack finding the right gif for every situation
- Our tech stack is comprised of MongoDB, Express, React and Node.js
- We use Jest for unit testing
- We have a bunch of third party integrations (Paypal, Stripe, HubSpot, etc.)
- We also use:
- CircleCI for continuous integration
- Heroku for deployment/hosting
- MongoDB Atlas for DB hosting
- Cloudflare for our web infrastructure and security
- Amazon S3 for file storage
- JIRA for task management
- Confluence for our internal wiki
The Fine Print
About School of Motion
At School of Motion we’re trying to reinvent the way students learn online by combining the best parts of a traditional brick-and-mortar school with technology that allows our students to receive the elite Motion Design training from anywhere in the world. Our mission is to break down the barriers to learning, mastering, and working in Motion Design. We currently have ten comprehensive courses, over 5,000 Alumni, dozens of Teaching Assistants, and a small team of full-time staff working diligently to keep everything running! And this is only the beginning…
Our Core Values:
Our core values embody our team dynamic and our voice. We are rebellious, helpful, effective, playful, and curious. If you would like to work with us, you should be all of these things too:
- We don’t like to do things just because they’ve always been done that way. Be skeptical of the status quo and constantly improve.
- There is no such thing as “not my job”. Help out in any way you can, and don’t hesitate to reach out for help.
- We do things fast and smart. We automate if it makes sense. We skip the meeting if it’s not immediately beneficial to the mission.
- We don’t take ourselves too seriously, it’s only Animation.
- Have interests, pursue them ruthlessly. Share your weirdness.
Some important information…
While School of Motion does not discriminate on the basis of citizenship or national origin, we may only employ United States citizens and people who are authorized to work in the United States. As long as you meet that criteria, you can work from wherever that is comfortable for you! We’re a fully remote team that primarily operates on Eastern Standard Time, and if you are local to Sarasota, Providence, or Los Angeles then you can come work with us in person.
We have some great benefits!
- We cover 100% of your health insurance and a portion for your spouse and children
- We have an extremely flexible time off policy. Work wherever you want with an internet connection.
- Access to a 401K plan after one year of employment
- Profit based bonus program
- Saying that we have a very casual work environment is an understatement, just be you.
The position does require domestic travel at least once per year when we all get together for company retreats and industry conferences (they are fun!).
School of Motion is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind
School of Motion is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at School of Motion are based on business needs, job requirements, and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, family or parental status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate.