Software Engineer, Web
What if you built the world's greatest database but nobody used it? That's what would happen to us if we didn't put so much effort into our online public presences. Our main website, documentation website and blog are all very important to us, and we have our own team dedicated to building these products. This team also works on some other smaller projects from time to time, as they own all of our public-facing web properties.
The Web Engineering Team is made up of 3 engineers and works on all types of projects ranging from analytics integrations with the core product UI, to testing and integrating various search engines into our blog platform. Search engine optimization, accessibility, performance, cross-platform support are all critically important for everything built by the Web Team.
The tech stack for this team has changed a lot over the last few years (and will change a lot in the future too), but Gatsby is the core web framework that powers most things. The Web Team leverages a CMS platform so that most of the content on our public properties are editable by members of our Marketing Team. This CMS needs to scale to hundreds of pages and thousands of resources.
Required Skills and Experience
- Experience working with the modern web development toolchain including: React, TypeScript/Flow, browser quirks, asset packaging, networking
- 5+ years of experience working on a SaaS product
- Experience working with CMSs
- Passion for building high-quality products that are robust and easy to maintain in a fast-paced, team-oriented environment
What you can expect from this role
In the first 3 months:
- Dive into the team's various code bases, pick up Gatsby JS if you've never used it, build new features and fix bugs alongside the rest of the team
- Learn the architecture of the team's various products, contribute to internal documentation, and suggest small refactors
In the first 6 months:
- Have built strong relationships with other team members, understand what motivates them and the different areas of expertise within the team
- Figure out which areas of the code base need more attention, suggest and drive medium-sized refactors
- Work with the team's various stakeholders and deeply understand the roadmap
In the first year:
- Develop career plans for all the team members, be fully integrated into the performance management system at SingleStore
- Be responsible for driving the delivery of the team's roadmap, working with stakeholders to set expectations
- Be a major contributor to the designs for large scale technical problems within the team
What we offer you
There are many reasons why people choose to join SingleStore, but we’ve highlighted a few that we think you’ll like:
- Work at your own pace
- Like our technology, our team is also distributed across the globe, so we try to have an async-first type of communication and respect each other’s schedules.
- Ownership of your work
- We trust our teams to deliver their best work and we make sure they have everything they need to accomplish that. That means that you’ll be part of the decisions as well, not just chugging through JIRA tickets all day.
- Space to grow and innovate
- We tackle hard problems every day, from databases, to infrastructure, to usability, to management; there’s opportunities for growth everywhere in the company.
Who will you work with
- Phil Sheffield, Head of Design
- Phil runs the design team and helps project manage some of the creative projects that this team works on. He helps ensure that the entire customer experience is excellent. He also ran the design team at box.com previous to coming to SingleStore.
- Rafaela Ferro, Software Engineer
- Rafaela is a Frontend Engineer on the web team that helps bring to life the projects envisioned by the design and marketing team. Previous to coming to SingleStore, she worked as a product designer.
- Jeremy Jones, Software Engineer
- Jeremy is a frontend-focused engineer on the web team and is currently based in San Francisco. During his tenure at the company, he has worked on many projects across all of our web properties, including collaborating closely with Design & Marketing to build beautiful user experiences, e.g., developers.singlestore.com, migrating our entire documentation site from one stack to another, and helping to improve our SEO score during a colossal company rebranding project.
- Pearce Ropion, Software Engineer
- Pearce is a creative, forward thinking full stack engineer with a focus on dynamic, integrated design systems. He is often tasked with refactoring or maintaining SingleStore’s projects to keep up with industry trends. Prior to SingleStore, Pearce worked at Proofpoint building dynamic dashboards for the company’s growing SRE and DevOps team.
SingleStore is one platform for all data, built so you can engage with insight in every moment. Trusted by industry leaders, SingleStore enables enterprises to adapt to change as it happens, embrace diverse data with ease, and accelerate the pace of innovation. SingleStore is venture-backed and headquartered in San Francisco with offices in Portland, Seattle, Boston, Bangalore, London, Lisbon, and Kyiv. Defining the future starts with The Database of Now™.
Consistent with our commitment to diversity & inclusion, we value individuals with the ability to work on diverse teams and with a diverse range of people.
To all recruitment agencies: SingleStore does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to SingleStore employees. SingleStore is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes and will not pay fees to any third-party agency or company that does not have a signed agreement with the Company.