Senior Cloud Support Engineer – SQL
We’re at the forefront of the data revolution, committed to building the world’s greatest data and applications platform. Our ‘get it done’ culture allows everyone at Snowflake to have an equal opportunity to innovate on new ideas, create work with a lasting impact, and excel in a culture of collaboration.
Snowflake Support is committed to providing high-quality resolutions to help deliver data-driven business insights and results. We are a team of subject matter experts collectively working toward our customers’ success. We form partnerships with customers by listening, learning, and building connections.
Snowflake’s values are key to our approach and success in delivering world-class Support. Putting customers first, acting with integrity, owning initiative and accountability, and getting it done are Snowflake core values and are reflected in everything we do.
Snowflake’s Support team is expanding! We are looking for a Senior Cloud Support Engineer who likes working with data and solving a wide variety of issues utilizing their technical experience having worked on a variety of operating systems, database technologies, big data, data integration, connectors, and networking.
As a Senior Cloud Support Engineer, your role is to delight our customers with your passion and knowledge of Snowflake Data Warehouse. Customers will look to you for technical guidance and for expert advice with regards to their effective and optimal use of Snowflake. You will be the voice of the customer into Snowflake’s product and engineering teams for product feedback and improvements. You will play an integral role in building knowledge within the team and be part of strategic initiatives for organizational and process improvements.
Based on business needs, you may be assigned to work with one or more Snowflake Priority Support customers. You will develop a strong understanding of the customer’s use case and how they leverage the Snowflake platform. You will deliver exceptional service, enabling them to achieve the highest levels of continuity and performance from their Snowflake implementation.
Ideally, you have worked in a 24×7 environment, handled technical case escalations and incident management, worked in technical support for an RDBMS, been on-call during weekends, and are familiar with database release management.
- Drive technical solutions to complex problems providing in-depth analysis and guidance to Snowflake customers and partners using the following methods of communication: email, web, and phone
- Adhere to response and resolution SLAs and escalation processes in order to ensure fast resolution of customer issues that exceed expectations
- Utilize the Snowflake environment, connectors, 3rd party partner software, and tools to investigate issues
- Document known solutions to internal and external knowledge base
- Submit well-documented bugs and feature requests arising from customer submitted requests
- Partner with engineering teams in prioritizing and resolving customer requests
- Participate in incident management and on-call rotation
- Participate in a variety of Support initiatives
OUR IDEAL SENIOR CLOUD SUPPORT ENGINEER WILL HAVE:
- Bachelor’s. or Master’s degree in Computer Science or equivalent discipline
- 5+ years experience in a Technical Support environment or a similar technical function in a customer-facing role
- Understanding of data warehousing fundamentals and concepts
- Ability to debug, rewrite, and troubleshoot complex SQL queries for achieving workarounds or better solutions
- Strong knowledge of RDBMS, SQL data types, aggregations, and functions including analytical/window functions
- Good understanding of RDBMS query profiles and execution plans to analyze query performance and make recommendations for improvement
- Good understanding of database query lifecycle and internal join processing
- Database migration and ETL experience
- Scripting/coding experience in any programming language
- Familiarity with semi-structured data
- Experience in RDBMS workload management and database performance
- Good understanding of any of the major cloud service provider’s ecosystem
- Ability to interpret systems performance metrics (CPU, I/O, RAM, Network stats)
- Experience troubleshooting database connectivity issues using a variety of methods (client software, drivers/connectors)
- Understanding of database patch and release management
- Excellent writing and communication skills in English with attention to detail
- Strong teaming skills in a highly collaborative environment and the ability to function in global arenas
NICE TO HAVES:
- Experience working with a distributed database i.e. big data and/or MPP (massively parallel processing) databases.
- Troubleshooting skills on a variety of operating systems (Windows, Mac, *Nix)
- Good understanding of the technical fundamentals of the internet. You should have a solid knowledge of internet protocols such as TCP/IP, HTTP/S, SFTP, DNS as well as the ability to use diagnostic tools to troubleshoot connectivity issues.
- Understanding of cloud computing security concepts
In accordance with applicable law, the following represents a reasonable estimate of the range of possible compensation for this role if hired in Colorado:
- The estimated pay range for this role, if based in Colorado, is $92,600 – $119,000.
- Additionally, this role is eligible to participate in Snowflake’s bonus and equity plan
Please note that this information is provided for those hired in Colorado only, and this role is open to candidates outside of Colorado with compensation that aligns with your location. The successful candidate’s starting salary will be determined based on permissible, non-discriminatory factors such as skills, experience, and geographic location. This role is also eligible for a competitive benefits package that includes: medical, dental, vision, life, and disability insurance; 401(k) retirement plan; flexible spending & health savings account; paid holidays; paid time off; employee assistance program; and other company benefits.
Snowflake is growing fast, and we’re scaling our team to help enable and accelerate our growth. We are looking for people who share our values, challenge ordinary thinking, and push the pace of innovation while building a future for themselves and Snowflake.
How do you want to make your impact?