Senior Counsel, Employment Law & Human Resources
About the role
StockX is seeking an experienced, practical Senior Counsel to manage and handle all labor and employment legal matters for the company’s global business. This role will be key in the formation and enforcement of employment policies and practices, and thus requires the right person who can serve both as a legal but also strategic business partner to the Human Resources team. The ideal candidate will be a motivated self-starter; be able to handle multiple and diverse issues at once; be comfortable in a dynamic, fast-paced environment; and be able to balance StockX’s business goals with legal risk. This role reports to the General Counsel.
What you will do
- Advise on all employment law issues including hiring, discipline, terminations, pay and benefits across StockX’s US and International offices.
- In collaboration with Human Resources, develop and draft policies and procedures for use domestically and internationally. Assist with the preparation of form documents, such as PIIA’s, severance/separation agreements, and offer letters.
- Provide training to and assist with development of training materials for local managers and team leaders. Work as needed on internal investigations. Assist StockX Compliance and Legal team with respect to other corporate policies, handbooks and procedures that affect StockX team members.
- Oversee the defense and negotiation of all employment related claims and manage relevant outside counsel. Coordinate with the company’s insurance broker regarding coverage and deductibles.
- Respond to any governmental requests related to employment and labor matters.
- Research and stay up to date regarding developments in relevant labor and employment laws that affect StockX’s team members and business. Educate and update relevant Legal, Compliance and Human Resources colleagues regarding developing trends and/or changes to law.
- Review company policies and procedures to ensure compliance with FMLA, ADA, FLSA, OSHA, ERISA, state Worker’s Compensation and Employment discrimination laws, and relevant international equivalent laws.
- Negotiate, review and draft contracts related to employment and labor matters, such as executive search/recruiting contracts; background check vendor agreements; HR consultants and similar.
- Provide support to the Legal and Human Resources teams as needed, including with respect to M&A, financings and other corporate governance matters.
- Graduate of an accredited law school and active member of a state bar in good standing.
- Minimum of 5 years experience in a law firm or in-house (or combination of both) with demonstrated counseling and litigation experience.
- Experience advising or working with public companies, venture-backed emerging companies or e-commerce companies is a plus.
- Strong verbal, analytical, and interpersonal skills, including the ability to effectively communicate legal concepts and risks in plain English.
- Consistently demonstrate strong common sense, good business judgment and an ability to balance legal and business risks in a high-growth environment.
- Able to work with minimal supervision and meet tight deadlines.
- Ability to work collaboratively and efficiently with outside counsel in multiple domestic and international jurisdictions.