Senior Software Engineer (Data Platform)
We believe that we are better together, and at Tripadvisor we welcome you for who you are. Our workplace is for everyone, as is our people powered platform. At Tripadvisor, we want you to bring your unique identities, abilities, and experiences, so we can collectively revolutionise travel and together find the good out there.
What we do in the Tracking & Experimentation Team:
At Tripadvisor, we host 400+ million monthly active visitors, and assist them to explore the world, and up-level their travel. Tripadvisor also has a culture of “test and learn” to encourage finding new ways to better serve travelers.
We are responsible for providing software that enables Tripadvisor to better understand visitor preferences in order to enable tailoring our site, app and product offerings to assist them in having more delightful travel experiences. We are also responsible for the software system that empowers Product Managers, General Managers, and Engineering to experiment and test out new innovative ideas across all Tripadvisor surfaces including the website, mobile app, and customer communications in email. These experiments in turn drive millions of dollars of revenue annually.
What you’ll do:
Tripadvisor is looking for a Senior Software Engineer to take this exciting opportunity to join our fast-moving tracking and experimentation group. In this role, you will help us build, upgrade, and sustain successful tracking and experimentation infrastructure to serve the world’s largest and most trusted travel site, visited by over 500 million travelers each month, and the world’s leading travel brands, from large OTAs to independent boutique chains.
Do you like building features end to end? Do you like working with a large number of technologies? Do you like moving quickly, releasing features daily, and working with other smart and talented engineers? If this sounds like you, we’d love to talk to you.
- Take on projects with independence and a mandate to leave things better than you found them.
- Participate in the planning and initial steps for key changes on the site.
- Be pragmatic when solving problems with a deep understanding of the purpose and goal of your work.
- Touch code at all levels, from client ingestion to data storage, data analysis whatever is required to complete your project. Take responsibility for all aspects of software engineering, from design to implementation, QA and maintenance.
- Have a CI/CD mindset. Most of our engineers release code to production every few days and we have a daily release cycle.
- Be integral for the code quality on your team through leadership in design and code review. Take responsibility for the quality of the code produced by you and the team.
- Be a mentor for others on the team and lead more junior developers.
- Operate across our evolving technology stack – we’re developing in Java, React, SQL and more.
- Help bring the team's technical knowledge and solutions to the engineering organization via tech talks and design reviews.
- Collaborate closely with Product and design teams to define feature specifications and develop high quality deliverables for our customers.
- Work alongside other engineering groups located around the world.
What we are looking for?
- 8+ years of experience as a professional engineer.
- A strong history of development with Java.
- Familiarity with Linux.
- Familiarity with designing infrastructure on AWS or other cloud providers.
- Bachelor of Science in Computer Science, Engineering or equivalent
- Prior experience running and executing large scale initiatives successfully
- Prior partnerships with business leaders, working collaboratively to achieve substantial goals
- Solid foundation in data structures, algorithms, and OO design.
- Willingness and ability to take on new technologies.
- Ability to break down complex problems into simple solutions.
- Strong analytical skills and desire to write clean, correct and efficient code.
- High quality verbal and written communication skills.
- Sense of ownership, urgency and pride in your work.
- Extensive experience in software development.
- Background in developing scalable code for high-volume systems.
Nice to haves:
- Passionate about solving business problems, perhaps you come from an entrepreneurial background.
- Having a data mindset along with Software Engineering expertise. Also, have worked on designing infrastructures that deal with the processing of large data sets.
- Experience working with and processing large quantities of data – Hive, Snowflake, NoSQL databases.
What you’ll get
- Highly competitive salary along with the following
- Annual bonus
- Generous Stock Award upon joining
- Additional stock awarded annually
- Excellent contributory pension
- Full family private medical cover
- Full dental cover
- Flexible working hours
- Flexible summer working schedule
- Time off between Christmas and New Year (on us!)
- Annual travel and wellbeing allowance (Eu 1200+)
- Critical illness plus full life cover
- Childcare vouchers
- Cycle to work scheme
- Employee assistance program.
We strive to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please make sure to reach out to your individual recruiter or our team at ** Redacted **.