Senior Software Engineer – Web Video Clients
Launched in 2011, Twitch is a global community that comes together each day to create multiplayer entertainment: unique, live, unpredictable experiences created by the interactions of millions. We bring the joy of co-op to everything, from casual gaming to world-class esports to anime marathons, music, and art streams. Twitch also hosts TwitchCon, where we bring everyone together to celebrate, learn, and grow their personal interests and passions. We’re always live at Twitch. Stay up to date on all things Twitch onLinkedIn,Twitter and on ourBlog.
About the Role
Amazon Interactive Video Service (IVS) is an AWS service that allows developers to easily leverage the low-latency highly-distributed live video platform that powers Twitch in their own applications. The Web Video Clients team is looking for engineers to work on our web clients, including the video player SDK that provides low latency playback for Twitch/IVS and upcoming products to simplify broadcasting.
You'll experience the best of both worlds while working on a brand new AWS service at Twitch—you'll be immersed in Twitch's creator-first culture and enjoy our perks while moving fast to build a new business. You'll make an impact on Twitch, the largest live video entertainment platform in the world with over 1 trillion minutes of content watched in 2020, and on an expanding and evolving AWS service. You'll work on projects like optimizing the adaptive bitrate algorithm for reduced video buffering, adding playback and broadcast support for new client platforms, simplifying our SDKs so they're easier to integrate with, and building entirely new video SDKs. You will report to the Engineering Manager of Web Video Clients.
We envision a product that allows for real-time interactivity broadcast to millions of viewers with less than a second of delay. To get there, we will have to push the boundaries of existing video standards, experiment with new ones, and open source our work along the way. We need your help to figure this out!
This position can be located in Vancouver, BC; San Francisco, CA; Seattle, WA; New York, NY; Denver, CO; Salt Lake City, UT; and Remote US.
- Take ownership of key components of the IVS web player SDK and other web video clients
- Leverage bleeding-edge web technologies like WebTransport and WebAssembly
- Experiment to decide and collaborate with backend video teams like the ingest, transcode, and distribution teams to build interactive video experiences
- Help define our open source strategy
- 5+ years of professional software development or equivalent expertise
- Expertise with modern web technologies like TypeScript, ES6, Webpack, and NPM
- Strong understanding of software architecture fundamentals, such as Async programming, object-oriented design, abstractions, software design, and multiple testing methodologies
- Experience working with web media APIs like WebRTC, Media Source Extensions, Encrypted Media Extensions, MediaCapabilities, WebCodecs
- Experience working with web players like hls.js, Shaka Player, dash.js, video.js
- Working familiarity with C++
- Medical, Dental, Vision & Disability Insurance
- 401(k), Maternity & Parental Leave
- Flexible PTO
- Commuter Benefits
- Amazon Employee Discount
- Monthly Contribution & Discounts for Wellness Related Activities & Programs (e.g., gym memberships, off-site massages, etc.),
- Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner Served Daily
- Free Snacks & Beverages
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at Twitch. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status, or other legally protected status.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Pursuant to the Los Angeles Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
The pay range for this position in Colorado and Connecticut is $ 120,000 -160,000 yr; however, base pay offered may vary depending on job-related knowledge, skills, and experience. A sign-on bonus and restricted stock units may be provided as part of the compensation package, in addition to a full range of medical, financial, and/or other benefits, dependent on the position offered. This information is provided per the Colorado Equal Pay Act and CT House Bill Number 6380. Base pay information is based on market location. Applicants should apply via Twitch's internal or external careers site.
Workers in New York City who perform in-person work or interact with the public in the course of business must show proof they have been fully vaccinated against COVID or request and receive approval for a reasonable accommodation, including medical or religious accommodation.
Job ID: TW6390