Lead Platform Engineer
Virta is the first company with a clinically-proven treatment to safely and sustainably reverse type-2 diabetes without the use of medications or surgery. Our innovations in nutritional biochemistry, data science and digital tools combined with our clinical expertise are shifting the diabetes treatment paradigm from management to reversal. Our mission: reverse type 2 diabetes in 100 million people by 2025.
As a Senior or Staff level engineer and the founding member of our Platform Engineering team, you will act as a player-coach, executing on technical projects while building a team to help support you. This role will evolve into a management position over time.
- Manage, support, and develop Virta’s core services – initially as an individual contributor, and over time building a team
- Define roles; recruit, interview, hire, and develop engineers
- Collaborate with product and other engineering leaders to build, execute and evolve an impact-focused roadmap
- Scope projects, set timelines, and execute Platform initiatives
- Bring the voice of engineering to team roadmaps; advocate for tech debt, scalable designs, and other technical KPIs to ensure ongoing performance and reliability of systems
- Collaborate with other engineering leads to define technology and hiring strategy
90 Day Plan
Within your first 90 days at Virta, we expect you will do the following:
- Define the Platform team’s charter by learning the ins and outs of our existing systems and defining ownership areas
- Identify resourcing needs for the Platform team and build a hiring plan
- Develop the Platform team’s 2021 roadmap and begin execution
- 5+ years of experience as a software engineer
- 1+ years of experience managing or providing technical leadership to engineering teams
- Deep expertise in building distributed systems with Python and/or Go
- Experience building a diverse, inclusive engineering team, including recruiting, interviewing, and closing candidates
- Experience mentoring and developing software engineers
- Experience creating, owning, and managing core services that are consumed by several applications and teams. Able to provide technical guidance to teams on core service usage and drive adoption.
- Track record of partnering cross-functionally with engineering team stakeholders, as well as product and other business stakeholders, to build technical roadmaps and deliver quantifiable impact
- Experience working in a regulated environment (HIPAA preferred; SOX, PCI also good)
- Experience managing or working on distributed teams
- Experience with FHIR
- A strong network
Virta’s company values drive our culture, so you’ll do well if:
- You put people first and take care of yourself, your peers, and our patients equally
- You have a strong sense of ownership and take initiative while empowering others to do the same
- You prioritize positive impact over busy work
- You have no ego and understand that everyone has something to bring to the table regardless of experience
- You appreciate transparency and promote trust and empowerment through open access of information
- You are evidence-based and prioritize data and science over seniority or dogma
- You take risks and rapidly iterate
As part of your duties at Virta, you may come in contact with sensitive patient information that is governed by HIPAA. Throughout your career at Virta, you will be expected to follow Virta's security and privacy procedures to ensure our patients' information remains strictly confidential. Security and privacy training will be provided.
For this role the compensation range for candidates in Colorado is $131,646 – $171,140; information about Virta’s benefits is on our careers page at: https://www.virtahealth.com/careers.
Note: Starting pay will be based on a number of factors and commensurate with qualifications & experience. Virta has a location based compensation structure; there may be a different range for candidates in other locations.