As the leading independent modern media company, Vox Media ignites conversations and influences culture. Across digital, podcasts, TV, streaming, live events, and print, we tell stories that affect our audience's daily lives and entertain as much as they inform.
Our portfolio features influential and respected editorial properties including Vox, New York Magazine, The Verge, The Cut, Eater, Vulture, The Strategist, Polygon, SB Nation, Intelligencer, Curbed, Grub Street and Recode. Off-platform, the Vox Media Podcast Network offers one of the largest collections of popular podcasts, and Vox Media Studios produces and distributes the award-winning nonfiction shows. Powered by innovative technology that scales quality, the Chorus publishing platform and Concert advertising marketplace answer the always-changing needs of modern audiences, creators and marketers.
Vox Media has been named one of Fast Company’s “Most Innovative Companies in Media,” an Inc. “Company of the Year,” Digiday’s “Best Company for Parents,” and one of the Best Places to Work for LGBTQ Equality by the Human Rights Campaign.
Vox.com is a user's guide to the news, helping readers make sense of everything from the Covid-19 pandemic to the protests against police brutality to the Biden transition. We want to create the single best resource for news consumers anywhere.
2021 will be an incredibly important year for international and domestic commitments to address the biodiversity crisis, and our science team will be expanding our coverage with a focus on the science, policy, and economics of conservation. We want deep and frequent coverage of everything from high-level biodiversity policy meetings to ecological crisis news and solutions.
To that end, Vox is looking for a Biodiversity Editor. We want a self-starter who will help guide our news-driven explainers, commission reported features from the field, and occasionally write stories. The Editor will drive the day-to-day coverage, assigning and developing stories with staff writers and freelancers. While the focus will be on bolstering our biodiversity coverage, editorial duties will encompass adjacent news topics, including the pandemic and climate change. This is a grant-funded one-year full-time staff position.
We’re looking for someone with:
- At least 3-5 years of editing experience, or equivalent
- Strong managerial and communication skills
- Excellent news judgment
- Concise and clever headline writing skills
- A demonstrated ability to bring analysis and sharp angles to news stories
- A strong understanding of the speed of web journalism and the importance of careful editing
- The proofreading and fact-checking instincts of a copy editor
- A sharp eye for SEO and social media savvy
- A background covering biodiversity, conservation, biology, agriculture, ecology and/or environmental science
- Broader background covering related issues including indigenous rights; corporate social responsibility; climate change; public health; global development; and other catastrophic threats to humanity and ecosystems.
- Experience in and enthusiasm for diving into research literature, particularly in ecology and conservation
- Take the lead in assigning and editing articles and other content — including podcasts, video, and special series or packages — for biodiversity and adjacent issues.
- Be our point person when it comes to following news developments on these subject areas
- With the science editor, set both day-to-day coverage and broader strategic priorities for biodiversity coverage
- Assist in the day-to-day assigning and editing of all science content
- Build up a stable of freelance contributors, especially in the subject areas above
To apply, please submit a résumé, cover letter, and 3-5 clips that you’ve edited or written (clips can either be linked in your cover letter or included as additional pages to your cover letter).
In your cover letter, we’d love to get a sense of how you think, write, and edit. Please be sure to address the following questions: What appeals to you about working at Vox? What’s your approach to editing? When it comes to biodiversity, what coverage (from any outlet) stands out to you? What kind of pieces/angles do you want to pursue?
About working at Vox Media:
This is a full-time temporary position with excellent benefits—including flexible hours and generous parental leave. Vox Media strives to provide comprehensive healthcare options for our employees and to ensure that our healthcare and other benefits are LGBTQ-inclusive. You'll be joining a group of focused, hard-working, creative people who are passionate about doing work that's challenging and fun—and who strive to maintain a healthy work/life balance.
Vox Media is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and everyone is encouraged to apply. Vox Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law.