Revenue Accounting Director
As the leading independent modern media company, Vox Media ignites conversations and influences culture. Across digital, podcasts, TV, streaming, live events, and print, we tell stories that affect our audience's daily lives and entertain as much as they inform.
Our portfolio features influential and respected editorial properties including Vox, New York Magazine, The Verge, The Cut, Eater, Vulture, The Strategist, Polygon, SB Nation, Intelligencer, Curbed, Grub Street, and Recode. Off-platform, the Vox Media Podcast Network offers one of the largest collections of popular podcasts, and Vox Media Studios produces and distributes the award-winning nonfiction shows. Powered by innovative technology that scales quality, the Chorus publishing platform and Concert advertising marketplace answer the always-changing needs of modern audiences, creators and marketers.
Vox Media has been named one of Fast Company’s “Most Innovative Companies in Media,” an Inc. “Company of the Year,” Digiday’s “Best Company for Parents,” and one of the Best Places to Work for LGBTQ Equality by the Human Rights Campaign.
What you’ll do:
- Ensure company revenue policies and processes associated with revenue streams are in compliance with US GAAP specifically ASC 606, Revenue from Contracts with Customers, as well as SEC regulations
- Lead a team in the timely execution of accounting closing activities for areas of responsibility, including working with teams outside the accounting department to establish and communicate deadlines that support the consolidated close calendar deadlines
- Identify and lead process improvement efforts to ensure improved efficiency of the department's processes and support company growth while enhancing the internal control environment
- Review, refine and prepare documentation around processes and accounting conclusions for areas of responsibility
- Provide direction to the business and sales teams for complex and critical proposals related to areas of responsibility for revenue recognition
- Lead trainings, manage, and provide feedback and coaching to members of the Revenue Accounting team based on areas of responsibility
- Manage a team of 5+ individuals
- Manage and support audit requests for areas of responsibility
- Support the Credit and Collections team in the appropriate application of cash receipts to customer invoices and assist with customer inquiries in areas of responsibility
- Exhibit flexibility and willingness to take on new responsibilities and assignments as needed
What you’ll bring:
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or related field and a minimum of 8-10 years’ previous experience in public accounting or a corporate accounting department
- A completed CPA certification
- Significant experience with ASC 606
- Significant experience with general ledger accounting and the monthly close process
- High level of attention to detail, excellent organizational skills and ability to prioritize demands and meet deadlines
- A demonstrated ability to work cross-functionally across an organization to build or enhance processes
- Significant experience in managing teams and in providing training, coaching and feedback
- Outstanding oral and written communication skills and the ability to work with all levels within an organization
- Strong computer skills – Expert level MS Excel skills including extensive experience with pivot tables and VLOOKUP’s; proficient in MS Word, PowerPoint or equivalent Google Apps.
- Self-motivation and desire to continually improve efficiency, accuracy, and timeliness of processes
Bonus points for:
- Experience working in the digital media and/or advertising industry
- Experience with Salesforce, FinancialForce
- Experience in financial reporting and M&A transactions
About working at Vox Media:
This is a permanent, full-time position with excellent benefits—including flexible hours and generous parental leave. Vox Media strives to provide comprehensive healthcare options for our employees and to ensure that our healthcare and other benefits are LGBTQ-inclusive. You'll be joining a group of focused, hard-working, creative people who are passionate about doing work that's challenging and fun—and who strive to maintain a healthy work/life balance.
Vox Media is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and everyone is encouraged to apply. Vox Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law.