Senior Data Editor
As the leading independent modern media company, Vox Media ignites conversations and influences culture. Across digital, podcasts, TV, streaming, live events, and print, we tell stories that affect our audience's daily lives and entertain as much as they inform.
Our portfolio features influential and respected editorial properties including Vox, New York Magazine, The Verge, The Cut, Eater, Vulture, The Strategist, Polygon, SB Nation, Intelligencer, Curbed, Grub Street, and Recode. Off-platform, the Vox Media Podcast Network offers one of the largest collections of popular podcasts, and Vox Media Studios produces and distributes the award-winning nonfiction shows. Powered by innovative technology that scales quality, the Chorus publishing platform and Concert advertising marketplace answer the always-changing needs of modern audiences, creators and marketers.
Vox Media has been named one of Fast Company’s “Most Innovative Companies in Media,” an Inc. “Company of the Year,” Digiday’s “Best Company for Parents,” and one of the Best Places to Work for LGBTQ Equality by the Human Rights Campaign.
The Vox Visuals team is looking for a Senior Data Editor. The role combines multiple disciplines — the ability to report, analyze and identify newsworthy data sets, make interactive visualizations and lead Vox’s data journalism. This editor will oversee original data-driven stories and mentor other data reporters on daily, feature, and long-form stories published across Vox’s multiple platforms.
This editor is responsible for ensuring that Vox’s data visualizations uphold Vox.com’s ethical standards, adhere to Vox’s unique style, and help provide clarity to our audience. They are responsible for the accuracy of all data visualization published across platforms. They will own Vox’s data workflow and will work with Vox Media’s product team on ensuring our graphics are accessible and mobile first. They will work closely with the Visuals Editor on aligning data-driven work with Vox.com’s editorial priorities. They will report to the Visuals Editor.
The key mark of success in this role is the ability to create new formats of storytelling that take the newsroom beyond text-driven pieces. Broadly speaking, you love working with data, design, typography, code and color to convey information. And more narrowly, you are skilled at working with complicated data sets. You will be responsible for shaping and cultivating Vox’s data journalism identity.
Your experience should show a variety of ways you have helped influence, guide, and create data-driven stories in a newsroom. We are seeking applicants who can thrive in a fast-paced, energetic newsroom that constantly experiments with different ways of conveying information.
Vox Visuals values creative thinkers and obsessives from all backgrounds. We are looking to hire the right person — not the right resume. If you are fearless with data, code, design and are passionate about journalism, please apply!
This is a full-time position, remote position.
Our Senior Data Editor will:
- Manage the data desk for daily, short-, medium-, and long-term projects, with the ability to balance breaking news.
- Pitch, research, and create unique data-driven stories.
- Oversee charts that members of the newsroom create using Datawrapper or sourced elsewhere, and provide feedback as needed.
- Be a strong voice for moving storytelling beyond text.
- Use code to produce interactive and experimental journalism.
- Ensure stories are functional and performant across a variety of devices and distribution platforms (Google AMP, Apple News, etc)
- Collaborate and communicate with reporters and editors in identifying and executing the best visual opportunities for our stories.
- Experiment with new methods of visual storytelling and aesthetics, and surprise us with new ways of looking at things.
- Create visual assets for stories that work on multiple platforms.
- Mentors junior members of the visuals team and other data reporters, by creating space to provide and solicit feedback (like weekly design reviews or other).
- Has at least six years experience working in a newsroom or equivalent.
- Excellent news judgment, with the ability to collect, research, and analyze data from diverse sources.
- Expertise using Adobe Creative Suite (Illustrator, Photoshop, After Effects) and other visualization tools.
- Experience using online data visualization tools (Datawrapper, D3) and cartographic visualization tools (Mapbox, QGis).
- Uses design and illustration skills to tell rich visual stories, and has experience creating visuals that convey information and editorial tone, not simply decoration.
- Capacity to react to breaking news and create graphics on a tight deadline.
- Cares deeply about the quality of their work.
- Accepts, resolves, and provides critiques gracefully.
Is this you?
Please send us a resume and a statement (250 words or less) about why you’d like to join Vox’s Visuals team. With your statement, please include a link to your portfolio or recent stories, and tell us what role you played in executing them.
This role is a part of the Vox Media Union, represented by the Writers Guild of America, East
About working at Vox Media:
This is a permanent, full-time position with excellent benefits—including flexible hours and generous parental leave. Vox Media strives to provide comprehensive healthcare options for our employees and to ensure that our healthcare and other benefits are LGBTQ-inclusive. You'll be joining a group of focused, hard-working, creative people who are passionate about doing work that's challenging and fun—and who strive to maintain a healthy work/life balance.
Vox Media is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and everyone is encouraged to apply. Vox Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law.