Frontend Engineer – Editor
We're looking for a Frontend Engineer to join the Editor team at Zapier. This team builds the very heart of the Zapier product: the workflow editor that helps users connect their apps and automate their working life. Want to help build the UI that’s at the very core of the Zapier product? Then keep reading!
Here are a few resources in addition to the job description that can give you an inside look at what life is like at Zapier:
- Our Commitment to Applicants
- Culture and Values at Zapier
- Zapier Guide to Remote Work
- Zapier Code of Conduct
- Diversity and Inclusivity at Zapier
Zapier is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace dedicated to pursuing and hiring a diverse workforce.
You value collaboration. You understand that building modern software is a collaborative effort, and you enjoy working as part of a tight-knit team. You’re happy to pitch in and help the team, whether by reviewing code, pairing on a tricky problem, or just thinking about how to solve the challenges we’re facing.
You advocate for the user. You have a keen eye for great design, and you’re empathetic to the needs of the end user. When you see users struggling to succeed you take it as a personal challenge to understand why and help the team build a better product.
You can balance lots of concerns. You’re used to having to balance multiple concerns, including customer demands, performance, A/B tests, UX research, accessibility, code quality, a rapidly changing ecosystem of languages and modules – the list goes on. You enjoy the challenge of balancing those demands while still completing tasks.
Things You Might Do
Zapier is a fast-growing, remote-first company so you'll likely get experience on many different projects across the organization. That said, here are some things you'll probably do:
- Research, guide, and execute frontend architecture changes, including but by no means limited to server-side React rendering and TypeScript typing.
- Work with stakeholders (other Zapier teams, or external partners) to understand requirements, propose solutions, and build something to help those stakeholders succeed.
- Build reusable React components with modular CSS, manage data on the client with Redux, and test everything with Jest.
- Measure and resolve performance bottlenecks, using tools like Chrome DevTools, Lighthouse, WebPagetest, or custom tooling.
- Refactor or improve existing code as languages, frameworks, or techniques evolve. Help the team pick appropriate tools to solve new problems as they arise.
- Work closely with our product, design, and UX teams to create amazing and intuitive experiences that make it effortless to connect different apps together.
- Help put tools, processes, and documentation in place to help us become a better, more effective organisation.
- Help teach your colleagues new skills, through code review, discussions and mentoring. Help us all become better engineers and humans.
- Ship to hundreds of thousands of users every day while having lots of autonomy in terms of code and feature ownership.
- As a part of Zapier's all-hands philosophy, help customers via support to ensure they have the best experience possible.
You’ll also have the opportunity to specialize in a variety of areas of the Zapier codebase. Focusing on a specialization will not limit your growth at Zapier as we believe that each engineer brings a unique perspective and can contribute in all areas. We encourage collaboration and will frequently have engineers contribute across teams to assist with projects.
Since 2011, Zapier has been helping people around the world automate the boring and tedious parts of their job. We do that by helping everyone connect the web applications they already use and love.
We believe that there are jobs computers are good at and jobs humans are good at. We want to empower businesses to create processes and systems that let computers and humans play to their strengths. We believe that with the right tools, you can have a big impact with less hassle.
We believe in a safe, welcoming, and inclusive environment. All teammates at Zapier agree to a code of conduct.
The Whole Package
Location: Pacific Standard Time / UTC-8
- Competitive salary (we don't use remote as an excuse to pay less)
- Great healthcare + dental + vision coverage*
- Retirement plan with 4% company match*
- Profit sharing
- 2 annual company retreats to awesome places
- 14 weeks paid leave for new parents of biological or adopted children
- Pick your own equipment. We'll set you up with whatever Apple laptop + monitor combo you want plus any software you need.
- Unlimited vacation policy. Plus we require you to take at least 2 weeks off each year. We see most employees take 4-5 weeks off per year. This isn't a vague policy where unlimited vacation means no vacation.
- Travel of 5% – 10% for company retreats which rotate to various cities throughout North America. We will resume retreats when it’s safe to travel again. Retreats typically take place twice a year as a company, once a year as a team. All expenses paid (flights, meals, transportation, etc.).
- Work with awesome companies around the world. We partner with great software companies all over the world and you'll constantly get to interact with people from these great companies
*While we take care of our international folks as best we can, currently, healthcare and retirement plans are only available to US-based employees.
How To Apply
We have a non-standard application process. To jump-start the process we ask a few questions we normally would ask at the start of an interview. This helps speed up the process and lets us get to know you a bit better right out of the gate.
After you apply, you are going to hear back from us, even if we don't seem like a good fit. In fact, throughout the process, we strive to make sure you never go more than seven days without hearing from us.
Optional: Share anonymously some demographic information about yourself to help us better track trends related to the backgrounds of candidates interested in working at Zapier in order for us to build a team that represents the users at Zapier and the broader world population.
Zapier is an equal opportunity employer. We're excited to work with talented and empathetic people no matter their race, color, gender, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, physical or mental disability, or age. Our code of conduct provides a beacon for the kind of company we strive to be, and we celebrate our differences because those differences are what allow us to make a product that serves a global user base.