Remote Social Media Evaluator Jobs with Appen
Software company Appen has become quite a hot topic lately in the work-from-home sphere. Recognized as a global leader in the development of high-quality, human-annotated data for machine learning and artificial intelligence, Appen was founded in 1996 and is headquartered in New South Wales, Australia. It currently offers telecommuting, freelance, part-time, and flextime jobs. One such job is that of Remote Social Media Evaluator.
What does a Remote Social Media Evaluator for Appen do?
If you are someone who loves social media and enjoys spending your time on various social media platforms, becoming an Evaluator might be a good opportunity to put your skills and experience to use and to actually get paid for doing so.
With Appen, a remote Social Media Evaluator is required to evaluate the quality and relevance of information in their area of residence in categories such as news feeds, advertisements and search results. Because technology companies around the world are dependent on the knowledge and experience of those who use their services, the work of remote Social Media Evaluators directly impacts the effectiveness and relevancy of the services such companies provide.
Pros of the job
- Simple requirements. All you need to become a remote Social Media Evaluator for Appen is a less than 3-year-old computer or smartphone with a reliable, high-speed Internet connection; as well as a desire to make an impact while spending time on social media platforms.
- Learn and get paid. By becoming a remote Social Media Evaluator, you have the opportunity to learn new technologies and start making money just by spending time on social media platforms.
- A chance to grow. Appen’s Social Media Evaluation services is growing rapidly across the globe and you have a chance to be a part of that growth, plus provide important data for the world’s top Internet search engine companies.
- Major flexibility. These positions at Appen are part-time and only require you to work between 1 and 4 hours a day. You also get to choose whether you work 5 days a week or 7 days a week, up to 20 hours a week. Such flexibility allows you to customize your schedule to fit the work you do for Appen around other professional and personal commitments.
- Uncomplicated interview process. Using Skype to conduct interviews for remote jobs is a part of Appen’s daily operations. If found fit for the position, it is likely that you will be pre-screened through video chat.
- Team connection. Every year, Appen tries to bring together as many remote teams as possible for their company meeting. If you’re able to attend, the meeting (which lasts a few days) will provide you a wonderful opportunity to connect with fellow remote co-workers.
- Effective communication. According to a review by a former remote Social Media Evaluator, Appen’s reputation in the work-from-home sphere is great and they always pay their workers on time.
Cons of the job
- Inconsistent compensation. There is no fixed rate or salary for this position. It is a job of contractor status and your pay is dependent upon project. Additionally, there may be days when work is not available, and on such occasions, you should not expect to be paid.
- Dealing with different time zones. Appen is headquartered in Australia. You must be willing to work with those who are in a different time zone and respond to instructions, emails, chats, etc., at times that may be irregular to you.
- Awareness of differences. Being part of a global remote workforce does have its challenges. You must develop a cultural sensitivity that will allow you to connect with people of diverse backgrounds from around the world.
Why is Appen a remote-friendly company?
In an interview with Remote.co, Ric Mercuri, Appen’s VP of Global Human Resources, says offering remote positions is not something new. From day one, the company’s HR and Recruiting team has been both remote and in-office.
According to Mercuri:
Remote work is the backbone of our company. Although we are headquartered in Sydney, a major portion of our teams are spread out across the globe in remote work settings.
He considers higher levels of productivity, flexibility, a robust corporate culture, no commuting time, and work-life balance as some of the biggest benefits of a remote workforce.
Is working as a remote Social Media Evaluator for Appen worth it?
It certainly appears to be. As a global company that aims to create a better online experience for customers by improving search engines, social media platforms, eCommerce sites and more, Appen depends upon a crowd of remote and flexible workers in over 130 countries to help their clients expand into new global markets.
According to FlexJobs, Appen supports “individuals who are seeking roles that allow them to supplement their income through a second job” or candidates looking “to earn extra money while improving the web and social media.” For four consecutive years (2014, 2015, 2016 and 2017), Appen was recognized by FlexJobs as a Top 100 Company to Watch for remote Jobs, including earning the #1 ranking in 2017!
A current employee who praises Appen for having intelligent and thoughtful leadership, says the company’s remote positions are ‘absolutely real work-from-home opportunities and definitely not a scam’. The remote positions, however, are contract work and you should not expect traditional practices such as employee benefits.
To succeed as a remote Social Media Evaluator, Appen recommends having a few characteristics, including:
- Being an active user on social media platforms such as Facebook and Instagram
- Having good English spelling skills
- Having a basic level of computer and/or smartphone operational knowledge
- Having an ability and willingness to comprehend instructions and follow them independently
- Having experience as a freelancer or other work-from-home opportunities
Do you have these characteristics? Does this sound like the right remote job opportunity for you? Click here to apply for this job!
If you’re not sure that working as a remote Social Media Evaluator is the right position for you, but you’re interested in other work-from-home opportunities with Appen, consider applying to become a transcriber, linguist, or web search evaluator – all of which are virtual positions that the company offers.