West Coast Remote Customer Service Specialist I
Unum is a company of people serving people. As one of the world’s leading employee benefits providers and a Fortune 500 company, Unum’s financial protection benefits help protect more than 33 million working people and their families from the financial impact of illness or injury. Unum’s three distinct, but similarly focused US businesses – Unum US, Colonial Life, and Starmount Life – are each a market leader in making disability, life, accident, critical illness, dental, and vision insurance accessible in the workplace.
Headquartered in Chattanooga, Tennessee, Unum has significant US operations in Portland, Maine, Worcester, Massachusetts, and Glendale, California with over 35 field offices nationwide. Colonial Life is headquartered in Columbia, South Carolina with over 40 field offices nationwide. Starmount Life is based in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, and is the dental and vision center of excellence for Unum in the US.
Looking for a company that makes an impact? Unum and Colonial Life are committed to protecting the financial wellbeing of our customers through our benefit offerings. As a Customer Service Specialist, you will be the first point of contact for our customers and a direct representation of our brand. You will have the rewarding job of creating exceptional customer experiences as you act in the best interest of the customer; ensure information is accurate; and operate with empathy and integrity. Customer issue resolution is a priority and we strive to resolve issues on the first call. In this role, you’ll have the opportunity to learn and work with multiple system applications and administrative processes, as you ensure a seamless experience for our external customers and internal business partners. This entry-level role provides a strong foothold into an organization and company with multiple career paths.
For more information about what it means to be a Customer Service Specialist at Unum, watch this video!
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Respond to external customers inquiries with timely and accurate information
- Follow documented processes/workflow while looking for ways to reduce customer effort
- Meet or exceed individual performance goals
- Accurately navigate through various system platforms
- Meet the expectations of the quality/productivity standards
- Share process improvements to enhance customer service and/or efficiency
- Ensure privacy of our customers remains the utmost importance
- Shifts may vary outside the standard 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- May perform other duties as assigned
- High school diploma or equivalent required
- Prior relevant experience, military service and/or college degree preferred
- Strong customer service skills with the drive to meet/exceed customer needs
- Strong verbal/written communication and interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated ability to work in a fast paced, structured environment, handling large call volumes
- Ability to make sound business decisions, with attention to detail
- Computer proficiency essential
- Strong work ethic with consistent job attendance history
- Detail oriented with a focus on quality and consistently meeting goals
- Self-directed with the ability to perform both as part of team and individually
- Solution oriented individual demonstrating critical thinking and problem-solving skills
- Ability to adapt and work effectively in a continuously changing environment
Requirements for remote workers:
- Must be located in Mountain or Pacific Time Zone
- Must be serviceable by a broadband cable internet service provider
- A separate, quiet dedicated work space must be established at remote site for the purpose of performing work duties. This area must be maintained in a safe condition, free from all hazards
Our training and development programs will provide you with in-depth knowledge of our products and a strong base for launching your career with Unum. Our Customer Service Specialists are typically promoted within or outside of the department during their first 12-18 months. Other career opportunities include:
- Monthly development time and ongoing training
- Options to work from home or on a part-time basis
- Potential to move into a hybrid position after your first year of employment, allowing you to split your time between the Customer Contact Center and another participating department
- Career ladder that includes advancement within the role, mentoring, quality auditing, training, process improvement and management roles within the department
- Medical, Dental, and Vision benefits available on the first day of employment
- Defined Contribution Plan along with 401K matching help you plan for your retirement
- Paid Time Off, holiday and leave programs
- Flexible Breaks
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Employee assistance programs
- Business casual dress code
- Onsite fitness and dining facilities
- Volunteer opportunities
- Employee resource groups with a strong focus on diversity and inclusion
Unum and its family of businesses offer world-class training and development, generous compensation and benefits packages, and a culture built on employee ideas.
Unum is an equal opportunity employer, considering all qualified applicants and employees for hiring, placement, and advancement, without regard to a person’s race, color, religion, national origin, age, genetic information, military status, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, or protected veteran status.