BuzzFeed, Blinkist and Khan Academy Remote Jobs
This week we have a few more exciting companies that are worthy of mentioning; an American news company with a focus on digital media (BuzzFeed), a book summary app (Blinkist), and a non-profit educational organization (Khan Academy).
BuzzFeed is the world’s leading independent digital media company, which reaches hundreds of millions of people globally. They were founded to focus on tracking viral content, but also provide news and media coverage. They have a presence in 14+ countries and 1,110 employees worldwide.
BuzzFeed seems to be the epitome of pop-culture.
Company perks include:
- Wellness (medical, dental and vision)
- 401(k) with company match
- Work-life balance
- Career development
- No work on your birthday!
While reading through some of the reviews online, here are my takeaways on working there:
- Great place to grow
- Friendly coworkers
- Young culture
- A lot of autonomy
- Relaxed, laid-back environment
- Creative freedom
- A good name to have on your resume
- Clear lines of communication with upper management
- Above-average benefits
They are currently hiring writers and editors. Check out remote opportunities with BuzzFeed.
Blinkist is a book-summarizing service based in Berlin, Germany, and currently has over 16 million readers worldwide. The service provides short, 15-minute summaries of thousands of bestselling nonfiction books. Summaries of key-insights are what’s referred to as a ‘blink.’ The service is available as a web-app and mobile application.
Blinkist currently has a 4.7 star rating on Glassdoor, and seems like a great place to work. Here’s what one employee had to say:
There is no strict hierarchical relationship between the higher management and the rest of the employees, everyone appreciates each other’s contribution to the success of the organization. The executive team is committed to transparency and puts in a lot of effort to communicate their decisions in a way that is understandable for everyone.
Here are my takeaways from reading reviews online:
- Good team cohesion
- Well organized
- Support for growth and development (learning budget).
- Free lunches
- Great coworkers – I’ve seen this listed in multiple reviews, and find that this is one of the most overrated aspects of a company. The fact that many agree on this is a huge plus! There was an emphasis on how skilled and technical the employees were, as well as down-to-earth.
- Very welcoming to new employees; helpful on-boarding process
- 30 days vacation – wait, what??? That’s 6 weeks!
- Transparency – I saw this term mentioned in various reviews, but am not sure if they’re referring to salary, company profits, vision, etc.
- Flat hierarchical management
Khan Academy is a nonprofit, 501(c)(3) organization whose mission is “to provide a free, world-class education for anybody, anywhere.” They offer online practice exercises, instructional videos, LSAT/SAT preparation and more. Students were twice as likely to meet grade-level standards with Khan Academy, according to a recent study.
I first heard about Khan Academy when school started going remote last year. Khan Academy was one of the services that my child’s school relied on. I can only imagine that with so many students going remote, their service is a necessity for many school districts.
Though they are a nonprofit, they still have great perks to offer their team:
- Flexible schedules
- Competitive salaries
- 401(k) + matching
- Medical/dental/life/vision insurance
- Paid parental leave
- Remote-friendly environment
While perusing the reviews on Glassdoor, here are my key takeaways:
- Great compensation, especially for a nonprofit
- Team members are passionate, caring, helpful and skilled
- Inspiring mission – knowing that you’re improving the lives of millions daily with free educational tools
- Inclusive culture
- Free snacks (not sure how this would work for remote employees!)
- Employees are valued and treated with respect
- Very healthy organization
- Great schedule flexibility
Check out Khan Academy remote jobs.
More Popular Companies
See our previous blog post about Medium, Wayfair, and Shopify remote jobs.